TWP making me pay

rajerseyAugust 22, 2009

We just moved in to a Central Jersey town 2 months ago from mid-west. There is an open drainage for rain water in front of our house and the twp won't fix it. First we've approached the twp officials and then the mayor about the problem. They have been very stubborn in not fixing unless we chip in part of the expenses even though it's located on the twp property. We can't blame the seller since he's failed in his own attempts. Has anyone faced situations like this? If so, how did you make the twp do it? Is there anything we can do legally?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mariend

What is twp? and if it is not located on your propery and is a health concern, contact the EPA. But not being familiar with NJ laws and hearing some unhealthy comments about part of that state, I would be careful.

Bookmark   August 22, 2009 at 6:01PM
kelpmermaid

The OP probably means "township." I can't visualize what he/she means, though. Is it some kind of drainage ditch or detention pond?

Bookmark   August 22, 2009 at 7:47PM
western_pa_luann

"There is an open drainage for rain water in front of our house and the twp won't fix it. "

Are you talking about a grated storm drain?

Bookmark   August 22, 2009 at 8:12PM
duluthinbloomz4

I'm envisioning a culvert or ditch runing along the roadway in front of your property.

Technically, only an enclosed tunnel under a road or your driveway would be classified as a culvert, and a cutting next to a road would be a ditch.

What is the problem needing to be fixed - silted up, weeded up, a boggy bug infested nuisance, water overflows and doesn't drain away? I'm guessing even though the township has easement rights, etc., any fix would result in your being assessed for cost/part of cost for any repair.

Bookmark   August 23, 2009 at 11:08AM
More Discussions
Negative connotation of listing "As is"?
I'll try to put our situation as simply as possible: We...
pinkpaula
Should we buy a home that was unoccupied for 6 years?
There is a cup-de-sac where a builder built 5 homes,...
coffeemama1
Driving A U-Haul, Towing A Vehicle Transporter
Well after all the looking and reading we have decided...
splais
can he evict us?.
almost a year ago me and my girlfriend and her 5 yr...
Joseph Gonser
Getting house ready to sell and have door knob question.
My house is going on 11 yrs old. Everything is pretty...
padillasideas
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™