What's been your latest inspiration?

karpetAugust 27, 2011

My husband gave me a book for my birthday "A Joy Forever - Marie Webster's Quilt Patterns"

It has been so fun to read it and learn about the role she played in sparking the pre-WW1 'quilt craze'.

It didn't click with me till the conclusion of the text that she had submitter her first quilt pattern at the age of 50. That encouraged me that I could still accomplish something with the rest of my life.

I also enjoyed learning more about what was behind the Arts and Crafts movement. Almost all of Marie's quilts were made with solid color fabric so that has made me rethink getting all the solids out of my stash.

What about you? What things have influenced or inspired your quilting lately?

Karlene

Here is a link that might be useful: A Joy Forever -

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
msmeow

That sounds like a great book, Karlene! I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Alas, not much inspiration here. Lately I've been feeling the need to finish the pile of unfinished projects. I'm making progress, but still have a long way to go. And then there's the pile of unstarted projects - kits, etc.

Donna

Bookmark   August 27, 2011 at 3:48PM
K8Orlando

I was inspired recently by a quilt shop hop. Typically I go to the quilt shop or look for something at one of the on-line fabric vendors because I already have an idea of what I want. But during the shop hop I was spending time with other quilters and listening to their comments, I had the opportunity to talk about the fabrics we were seeing with my quilting buddy who went with me, and I had the sensory overload of seeing bolts and bolts of beautiful fabrics and dozens of completed quilts. Of course, the shops group everything by designer or by color, too. It was very inspirational and I still haven't sorted though all the new ideas!

Kate

Bookmark   August 27, 2011 at 4:54PM
geezerfolks_SharonG_FL

Marsha inspired me to begin the 9-Patch Pizzazz I've been wanting to do when she posted she had completed one. DH thinks it's really busy but I'm not done with it yet.....hope it'll look ok when it's done.

SharonG/FL

Bookmark   August 27, 2011 at 8:32PM
More Discussions
MARCH 2015 Lotto Block
MARCH Friendship Star 12-1/2" - Black and white...
beth7happy
Another feature found
So, I found another feature that I thought you a) might...
jennifer_in_va
Oh my!
Switching over to Houzz very challenging! I sure hope...
nannykins
Retreat finishes: 2013-2014
Three down...don't ask how many more to go :-)! All...
littlehelen_gw
My 2015 Granny Square Quilt Blocks
Here are some of the different blocks I have been hand-piecing...
quiltingfox
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™