Can I recut or modify the edge profile of my corian countertop?

battleshipApril 2, 2013

We are redoing the kitchen, and we're getting new slab cabinets. Now we may have prematurely chosen slab, as our style is completely modern, but that's being addressed on my other thread.

So with the new cabinets nearly being finished, I am wondering how to make them work in our space with the existing, very nice, neutral gray corian countertop. It has a slightly radiused edge profile now, and I am wondering - is is possible to recut or modify the edge profile to something slightly more squared, so as to match the slab cabinets better?

Many thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brickeyee

Yes, but it can be very hard to repair any mistakes or defects you make in the new edge.

Corian is shaped with carbide bits in a router, with a few bits actually 'tweaked' to give better performance in Corian (compared to wood).

Unless you have a decent amount of router experience it would be worth paying a Corina installer for the work.

They may want a lot of waivers though

They do not want to find an internal defect ad then have to replace a piece.

It will also cause a snowstorm of corian shavings unlike anything you may have seen.

Bookmark   April 2, 2013 at 2:33PM
weedmeister

I bet inside corners would be a hassle.

Bookmark   April 2, 2013 at 4:15PM
jakuvall

Inside corners would require care, end of run if there is a fridge panel or wall is a bear since a big router will only get within about 3". Switch to a laminate trimmer and go really slow and you still have over an inch to do by hand. Doable, just not easy without removing the tops.

Bookmark   April 2, 2013 at 8:51PM
More Discussions
Ikeafans website has closed down
I know that the Ikeafans website was seeded by gardenweb,...
scrappy25
Review a friend's kitchen?
You all helped me tremendously in planning our kitchen...
camandann
General Contractor bid excessive?
I'm doing a forced remodel due to a flood and handling...
beachem
Stacked uppers?
Is it worth doing stacked uppers? I love the look but...
tigger9759
reasonable time before receipt of general contractor's estimate ?
What is a reasonable time to wait before a contractor's...
jeannette10
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™