Heavy Texture on Kitchen Walls

boystownJanuary 2, 2009

Previous owners did a poor job of texturing the kitchen walls. It is very heavy texture. Would it be possible for me to smooth them out some with joint compound? I plan to repaint but would like a smoother wall first. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
golddust

We had heavy texture on our ceilings and walls too. We smoothed it out with joint compound and it worked well.

Good luck!

Bookmark   January 2, 2009 at 1:28PM
boystown

Thank you, Golddust. Did you put a primer over your ceiling after you smoothed it with joint compound?

Bookmark   January 2, 2009 at 1:52PM
jane__ny

We had that in a bathroom. It was so thick we wound up tearing out the walls and put new dry wall. What a nightmare it was.

Jane

Bookmark   January 4, 2009 at 7:57PM
golddust

Yes, we did a primer to seal it. Keep in mind, heavy texture is different than that blown in popcorn stuff popular in the 60's and 70's. My BIL is a drywall/painter guy. He says you must steam off the real popcorn (the stuff with sparkles).
I tried to photograph my new and improved lightly textured ceilings but it was impossible to capture it.

Bookmark   January 6, 2009 at 11:13PM
boystown

Thank you again, golddust. I am sure that what we have in this kitchen is what the previous homeowner applied to try and achieve a tuscan texture. My husband says that it feels like joint compound to him that went on too heavy. Do you still think that I can use thin layers of compound to smooth these walls a bit? Should I try to sand some of the areas that have a lot of peaks sticking out? Love the kitchen, hate the walls but our budget will not allow us to re-drywall at this time. Thank you for your help

Bookmark   January 7, 2009 at 8:24AM
golddust

It's hard because my BIL is the magician with drywall, not me. I remember that he did do a bit of sanding in the kitchen for the really bumpy stuff but he mainly just filled it in. I can tell by looking at it what it used to be but it's almost smooth now and 100% better.

Bookmark   January 7, 2009 at 11:04PM
pjb999

Just be careful the material does not contain asbestos or lead. I think there are usually testing kits available.

Bookmark   January 16, 2009 at 12:33PM
golddust

I second pbj999's advice! Make sure it is safe. Oh old houses - they can bring us to our knees.

Bookmark   January 16, 2009 at 11:15PM
More Discussions
How does a General Contractor work...do I need one ?
I am new to remodeling anything in my house. I have...
jeannette10
Help! Ceilings are dipping!
I don't know if this is just an unusual series of events...
andrelaplume2
Cutting a notch into rafters to push LVLs into the ceiling?
We have a load-bearing wall we'd like to remove. We...
progressnerd
Acting As My Own GC, Missing One Peice of the Puzzle
I am doing a kitchen renovation. I won't be moving...
homechef59
Removing brick and install what?
Just for the sake of discussion...if one was to remove...
mlo1
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™