Fix it or not? How to decide

nosoccermomAugust 10, 2014

Below is a link to a Houzz article that gives some great advice on what to take into consideration when deciding what/if to fix in a house to be sold.

Also, check out the other related links that will pop up (e.g. low cost fixes, what to do when showing a house, etc.)

Here is a link that might be useful: prepping for sale

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Suzi AKA DesertDance Zone 9b

Good advice. Amazes me how Houzz has all those beautiful photos. Nobody I know has rooms that look like that!

Bookmark   August 10, 2014 at 10:16AM
Mmmbeeer

Good tips to get someone started. SO much depends, not on HGTV's skewed perception of the buying pool out there, but upon what is actually happening in your own neighborhood. Very often, in certain areas of the country, all you need to do is fix up an area so that it's no longer "embarrassing" for buyers and is something that they can live with until they can save for an upgrade.

I follow Zillow closely in the Midwest here and have noticed a lot of buyers to be what I consider to be wasting money putting lipstick on a pig. They have obviously bought new stainless appliances and put in granite and the effect is less than stunning against orange oak cabinets. Especially ones where you can see wear and tear, even in the pictures. HGTV tends to skew the perception of a lot of sellers and Realtors even, thinking that there are "easy fixes" when, in fact, it's a lot more intuitive that that. It's price range, comps, area of the country, lifestyle (you may "need" a pool in Florida, but it can be a handicap for a seller in the Midwest), demographics of your buying pool etc.

Bookmark   August 10, 2014 at 9:17PM
nosoccermom

In my area, very obviously staged properties with purely cosmetic fixes command top money. Recent example: Beautiful gray walls, expensive furniture, marble kitchen counters, the typical decorator look, but poorly painted white kitchen cabs, a dysfunctional "barrier island", powder room right next to the living room, old windows and roof that leaked within the first six months after purchase. House sold quickly.

Bookmark   August 18, 2014 at 11:59AM
More Discussions
Realtor company fee
Buyer agent told me there is $300 fee to realtor company....
net42k
escrow account for a repair
We received an offer on our house! The house is priced...
karin_2009
Seller not allowing final walk-through before closing
Hi, I am struggling with a strange situation in my...
musicgold
Getting house ready to sell and have door knob question.
My house is going on 11 yrs old. Everything is pretty...
padillasideas
can he evict us?.
almost a year ago me and my girlfriend and her 5 yr...
Joseph Gonser
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™