Mortar and Freezing Tempaeratures

shw001January 16, 2007

If I repair lay some bricks with fresh mortar when the temperatures are around 45-50 farenheit, and temperatures drop to below freezing in about 8-10 hours, will the mortar be damaged and not achieve full strength?

(I know you need to give concrete 2-3 days, but the mortar joints are not as thick as, say a four-inch thick piece of concrete).

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ventupete

Yes and yes. When new mortar gets below about 40 the curing process slows down which adversely affects the final strength of the mortar. When new mortar gets below freezing, the moisture in it expands as it freezes which will cause the mortar to break apart. Also, the sub-freezing temperatures will weaken the bond between the brick and the mortar. There are accelerators on the market which some people will bill as "anitfreezes." Not true, they accelerate the curing process, but won't protect the mortar until it is cured. If you need to lay the bricks in that kind of weather, your only alternative is to figure out a way to keep the brick and mortar above 40 degrees for a few days.

Bookmark   January 16, 2007 at 8:00PM
More Discussions
Help! Ceilings are dipping!
I don't know if this is just an unusual series of events...
andrelaplume2
How does a General Contractor work...do I need one ?
I am new to remodeling anything in my house. I have...
jeannette10
Do I match exterior door/window hardware to interior?
We will have white interior doors with oil rubbed bronze...
happyallison
Learning to read plans and drawings
We are embarking on the design phase for a remodel...
Susan Taylor Brown
2x8 Joists are 1.75x7.75 and 2x6 Joists are 1.75x5.75? why is this?
Posted this in another forum but looking for more answers. I...
tlbean2004
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™