HST layout questions

biinabooAugust 21, 2014

I know this is all personal preference. But I'm really questioning how I'd quilt if I did a more block style pattern. I was just going to stitch the ditch on the print and do parallel lines on the solids. I'm not a free motion quilter so I tend to stick with the easier quilting. A little background, the quilt is for my mother, with give date quickly approaching (no time to send out for quilting). It'll be 20x20 squares plus a border. Roughly 60x60. It's 15 prints plus a solid. How would you do it?

Sketches in next post.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
biinaboo

Ideas so far...would the block style (bottom right) be too busy for so many prints?

Bookmark   August 21, 2014 at 12:20PM
geezerfolks_SharonG_FL

I like the layout you have now. For quilting, not in the ditch but 1/4 inch each side of the diagonal seam line. That would show as diamonds on the backside. But, like you said, it's personal preference. :-)

SharonG/FL

Bookmark   August 21, 2014 at 2:45PM
grammyp

I like your layout, too. The solid "stripe" gives your eye a place to rest. Parallel lines in the solid would also help it "recede" into the background and allow the prints to pop more (be sure to alternate stitching directions to help prevent fabric creeping). I would SID the prints just because I like to make sure it won't come apart.

beverly

Bookmark   August 21, 2014 at 3:47PM
biinaboo

Thanks geezerfolks and grammyp. I think I'm over thinking the layout. Stick with the original plan! Grammyp, we are totally on the same page. That was my thinking just couldn't put into words. I wouldn't have thought to alternate stitch direction. Thanks for the tip.

Do any of you use an etsy shop for custom labels? I want to stitch one into the binding.

Bookmark   August 21, 2014 at 3:59PM
geezerfolks_SharonG_FL

biinaboo, If you know anyone that does embroidery, they could do a label for you, or there are a few on our forum that are proficient in that area. Beverly (grammyp) did mine if you would rather do it yourself with your printer. She could guide you....I'm not that savvy so write mine.

SharonG/FL (Crystal River FL)

Here is a link that might be useful: label on quilt

Bookmark   August 21, 2014 at 4:37PM
K8Orlando

I've ordered twill tape labels on etsy.com from inkedpapers. LOVE THEM! I sew them into the seams on quilts and purses I make. I don't make any of these things professionally or sell them on-line, but I think the nice labels add a really finished touch. You can get a large roll of them, ready to cut off to the size you want, for about $20.

Kate

From their Etsy page:

Here is a link that might be useful: Twill printed labels

Bookmark   August 23, 2014 at 5:15PM
FlamingO in AR

How about a woodgrain pattern? I did a couple like this-

...and they drape so nicely and feel so good.

Bookmark   August 24, 2014 at 10:48AM
quiltnhen

Ooooh! my favorite colors. Great quilt and I wouldn't have thought to do allover lines, yet I like the result.
LindaB/CA

Bookmark   August 24, 2014 at 2:46PM
K8Orlando

I like that woodgrain quilting pattern!

Bookmark   August 24, 2014 at 3:02PM
FlamingO in AR

Thanks! It's kind of organic, pretty simple to do, but it's helpful to have a wide throat on the machine, otherwise the wrestling can get tiresome (and annoying, I usually end up sore and tipsy, because I end up hitting the wine to keep from getting too cranky!)

Bookmark   August 25, 2014 at 10:30AM
amazingcm

I like the layout you have, but they are all nice.

Bookmark   August 27, 2014 at 9:53AM
More Discussions
Are you quilting this weekend? Feb. 20-22
I have been cross-stitching a birdhouse bookmark for...
quiltingfox
My 2015 Granny Square Quilt Blocks
Here are some of the different blocks I have been hand-piecing...
quiltingfox
Selecting fabric - need opinions
Hi! I'm working on a black and white quilt. Each...
jlt37869
2015 Block Lotto At a Glance
This is going to be a long post, so apologies in advance...
polardreams
Spider Web
And I still have lots of scraps!!! The first border...
nannykins
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™