LOOKING for: Cutout Cookie frosting or icing recipe...

favpat00December 5, 2007

Anyone have a good one that will hold up well to sprinkles/or sugar sprinkles? Tried to use a royal icing recipe adding sprinkles on top and it literally melted the sprinkles into the icing while it set. I'm thinking I might go with a butter cream or something this time, but would like a good one that will set well. Maybe adding cream cheese or...

thanks, Chris

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
shirleywny5

Mine is very simple. Powdered sugar and enough water to spread. I make mine thin enough to brush on. The sponge brushes work great. It dries fast also.

Bookmark   December 6, 2007 at 4:04PM
lov2garden

I hate royal icing! Working with it is awful and the taste and texture is miserable IMHO.

For years I have used melted confectionary coating (ex. Wilton candy melts, white almond bark coating) thinned as needed for flooding & piping with Paramount crystals. Applied with squeeze bottles. Taste is great but it's tricky to work with (keeping it melted) and expensive. It was also limited to piping with a round tip and making dots, squiggles, etc but it wouldn't work with other tips. It's still my hands down choice for assembling gingerbread houses and "gluing" on decorations.

This year I'm going to try Toba Garrett's Cookie Icing. It sounds great and I'm going to try it in squeeze bottles. I have the kind of bottles that can use different standard decorating tips. I'm hoping I can make it work for my purposes. Check out the good link below. There is also a video http://how2heroes.com/videos/dessert-and-baked-goods/simple-cookie-glaze

I think it can be thickened enough to pipe. If your sprinkles melted into the icing, it may be because you put it on too soon. I'm not sure when the right time is with this frosting.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this will be The One!
Anybody else tried it?

Here is a link that might be useful: Toba Garrett's Cookie Icing

Bookmark   December 9, 2011 at 7:49AM
lov2garden

PS- my worry about you adding cream cheese to your frosting is that it will never dry firm and you won't be able to stack the cookies or have them touch each other without ruining your designs.

I'd like to know more about sponge brushes Shirleywny5 uses.

Bookmark   December 9, 2011 at 8:00AM
More Discussions
RECIPE: Oven Canned Tomatoes
Since 1974 I've used this recipe to process/can my...
CrazyHorse2
LOOKING for: Sweet potato recipes : not pureed or sweet
I love sweet potatoes. I would like to incorporate...
linnea56
RECIPE: Quick Red Thai Curry Noodle Soup
Ingredients: 1tbsp oil 300g mixed stir-fry vegetables...
thermon1
RECIPE: Christmas Cookies
Think we are late getting this one started this year...
roselin32
RECIPE: Onion Soup What to mix with Guyere cheese
I'm planning to make my French Onion Soup for a number...
qmarker
Sponsored Products
Home Decorators Runner: Omega Multi 2' 6" x 10'
Home Depot
Cherry Creek Oil Rubbed Bronze 11-Inch LED Amber Linen Glass Panel One-Light Out
$229.00 | Bellacor
Zoe Queen Vinyl Bed Frame in Black
$299.00 | LexMod
Bright Red 32" Round Brezza Wall Mirror
Lamps Plus
Bamboo 2-inch Blind (72 in. x 64 in.)
Overstock.com
Square Devon Self-watering Planter
Grandin Road
Justice Design Group GLA-5561 - Framed Square 4-Sided Wall Sconce (ADA) - Brushe
$290.00 | Hayneedle
Kenroy Clean Slate 4 Light Chandelier
Beyond Stores
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™