Switch these lights together or seperate? Can't decide...

williamsemApril 20, 2013

So the time has come to make all remaining purchases. Meaning I need to pick switches and such this weekend.

I can't decide if I should switch the two lights by the fridge together with all the other recessed lights or put them on their own circuit. This is already going to be eleventy million times more lighting than I have now, so I'm having a hard time imagining how I might use the lights.

What do you think? For those that already have multiple light sources to use, would you want it all lit up at once, or the option to only light the hall area just when needed?

Here is the plan I'm using. Everything except the sink light will be on dimmers. All suggests welcome!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
palimpsest

I would want it switched separately.

Bookmark   April 20, 2013 at 2:17PM
eandhl

In our last house we had can lighting and I went with what the electrician suggested. I ended up having him come back and make separate switches. Otherwise the whole area was to bright and I found in 5 years I never turned on 4 of the lights.

Bookmark   April 20, 2013 at 2:36PM
Holly- Kay

My under cabinet lights are on one switch, the lights over the sink on another. and the lights on the rear perimeter on another. Also over the table has it's own switch with dimmer I love light so I usually have over the sink, under the cabs, and rear perimeter on all the time when I am in the kitchen. I am going to put a pendant over the sink as well and want that on the switch with the other lights (recessed) are over the sink area, and hopefully another small pendant over my small island. If you like a lot of light all the time they can go on one but I would recommend being on their own switches so you can light as little or as much as you want.

Bookmark   April 20, 2013 at 4:49PM
buildinva

My kitchen currently has 3 light sources: UCL, can lights all the way around above the work zones, and 3 decorative pendants over the island in the middle of the room. When I am working, I like everything on. When I'm not, I like to leave on the pendants because they are so pretty. Finally, sometimes in the evenings I like to have on just the UCL because its warm and soft and feels cozy.

Because this is how I *use* my lights, 3 switches work well for me--1 for the pendants, 1 for the UCL, 1 for all of the cans. This is what I'm planning for my new home as well.

Hope that's helpful!

Bookmark   April 20, 2013 at 11:43PM
More Discussions
Strategies for washing dishes in a large single sink vs double sink
Hi all, We have in our plans to get a large (33 inch)...
ontariomom
Please help with Kitchen floorplan
Hello everyone, My husband and I are building a new...
mary8153
"Ledge" sinks and accessories -- do you use them?
I'm considering an undermount stainless sink that has...
denizenx
Soapstone in the Midwest/St. Louis area?
Hi everyone. I've been lurking here for the past year,...
designsaavy
Does this butler pantry addition add or detract from my kitchen?
My midcentury home has a very open plan and lots of...
rockybird
Sponsored Products
38 Inch Bathroom Vanity Set
TheBathOutlet
Optos Wall Sconce
Lightology
Gold Burlington Blackout Five-Piece Curtain Set
$19.99 | zulily
Clareo Spot Head by Bruck Lighting Systems
$184.00 | Lumens
Destiny Oushak Rug 9' x 12' - LIGHT PINK
$5,699.00 | Horchow
Hudson Valley Slaton Art Deco Bath Vanity Light
1800Lighting
Patio Living Concepts Outdoor Lighting. European Single White Globe Plug-In Outd
Home Depot
Pediment Cornwall Flower Shade Anya Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™