RECIPE: Fettuccine with Bacon & Vegetables
Here's what I made the other day. A bit similar to Marilyn's Spaghetti with Peas & Pancetta.
But I just winged this, putting it together after an exercise session at the gym. I came home so hungry and this was so good that I couldn't stop refilling my plate. I'll definitely make this many times more. My DH loved it too.
1/2 lb fettuccine egg noodles (dry weight)
1 medium carrot - grated
2 stalks celery - diced finely
1 medium onion - diced finely
4 fat cloves garlic - sliced thinly
1 cup frozen peas
4 strips bacon - diced
olive oil - about 1/4 cup
1 TBSP butter
salt & pepper
1. Put large pot of salted water on to boil for pasta
2. Grate and chop the carrot, celery, onion, garlic. Put into
bowl along with the frozen peas and set aside.
3. In large frying pan, cook the diced bacon until nearly crisp, remove
from pan and drain well on paper towel. Drain bacon fat from
pan, leaving just a little to coat the pan. Add some olive oil
to the pan and heat a few moments.
4. Put chopped/grated veg and peas from bowl into frying pan and
stir fry until golden and softened....about 5- 8 minutes or to your taste.
5. Meanwhile cook fettuccine 12 minutes in the boiling water.
6. Add diced bacon to vegetables in frying pan and drizzle a bit of olive oil over all.
7. Drain pasta, return to pot and add contents of frying pan plus butter to the pasta.
Mix gently, add fresh ground pepper and salt to taste. Grate in some parmesan and stir.
Pile onto heated plates and pass around the grater and block of parmesan.
November 30, 2007