Thought of you Rita!

karpetAugust 18, 2011

I bought a bag of batting at a garage sale for .25 cents earlier in the summer and got it out last night to use in some baby blankets. As I unfolded the first piece, there was something dark in it - a beetle! And then I found a second one! Ewwww! I picked them out and flushed them and then did a micro inspection of the rest of the batting which was all clear. Even so, it made me think twice about using it!!!

I thought of you, Rita, and finding that little bug inside your finished hand-quilted quilt! I'm sure you were glad when he was removed!

Karlene

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nanajayne

Have you given any thought to putting the batt into the dryer. That should get rid of any creatures that are lurking. Just dampen it litte before.

Bookmark   August 18, 2011 at 1:46PM
magothyrivergirl

I would not be able to use that batting - ever!
You will spend more than 25 cents in water (flush) and heat to dry ----ewwwwwwww......eggs, larvae, bug poo! Ick!

Bookmark   August 18, 2011 at 1:50PM
ritaweeda

First of all, there's a BIG difference between "just a beetle" and a cockroach (aka palmetto bug)! Second of all, it's so uplifting to know I will always be remembered as the one with the bug in her quilt! LOL! Anyways, thanks for thinking of me (I guess). There was a gigantic thread going in the Florida Gardening forum recently about palmetto bugs, and of course I had to put my 2 cents in, a lot of it was quite hilarious. And I wonder what the deal is with bugs and batting???

Bookmark   August 18, 2011 at 1:51PM
K8Orlando

LOL - when I saw the title of this post my first thought was "I bet it's about that palmetto bug!" I haven't been posting on the Gardening forum but I still visit there about once a week to read over the posts. I saw that thread about palmetto bugs and really enjoyed it.

Kate

Bookmark   August 18, 2011 at 1:59PM
rosajoe_gw

I'm over at the gardening forum and I saw that post too!!! We did have more palmetto bugs in Florida than here, and some of the HUGE bugs could FLY!!! Also, my yard in Florida was home to black snakes and one made it into my laundry room and was on my quilt.
I was ready to throw it away too lol!!!!

Bookmark   August 18, 2011 at 3:47PM
karpet

I was worried about left over bug residue also, but the good thing about this batting is it is so white that even a cream colored thread stands out on it so.

I usually don't buy batting unless it is in it's original packaging because it is so velcro-like that it picks up and holds so many things!

I lived in Tallahassee for a short while and encountered one of those huge flying bugs as it flew into my room in the dark of night! Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Bookmark   August 19, 2011 at 9:35AM
geezerfolks_SharonG_FL

Don't get me started on those flyin' things! I never had one here until the other night! I was looking at a magazine and you'd a thought I was wavin' in an airplane. I couldn't find it that night but the next morning Prissy was watching it as it must have been on it's last wing/leg.

yucky yucky yucky

SharonG/FL

Bookmark   August 19, 2011 at 1:46PM
petalpatsy

Yup, hello, I also pop by less often and saw this thread--AHA! Somebody else has bug issues!

Bookmark   August 20, 2011 at 10:18AM
More Discussions
Jamestown Landing ready to quilt.
I got the top done and loaded onto the frame. I am...
jackier123
I'm new here and sharing my quilts
Hello, I'm new to your forum, but not new to sewing....
craftylady
Just finished
Pattern called Diamond Double from Cozy Quilt. If you...
nannykins
Heart Blocks
These blocks are made up of 3 1/2" squares of...
geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
Need advice on batting and a little help with Houzz
I have only made two quilts, both small ones, and have...
donna_loomis
Sponsored Products
Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Brooke Sage 8' x 10'
Home Depot
Amber Sports Training Push Up Bars - P-901
$17.99 | Hayneedle
Vig Furniture - 3088 Modern Black Leather Reclining Sofa Set -...
Great Furniture Deal
Falling Rain Rectangular 4-light Chrome and Crystal Chandelier
Overstock.com
It's Only Natural Desk - Burnt Oak
$299.99 | Dot & Bo
Rococo Vintage Off-White 16.5-Inch Square Throw Pillow
$19.99 | Bellacor
Fruit Cheesecake Sampler - NA
$52.00 | Horchow
20" Diamond Design Natural Square Rattan Storage Trunk
Signature Hardware
People viewed this after searching for: