Low profile (short drop) bedskirt?

annac54June 3, 2011

Anyone seen any bedskirts for low-profile (half-sized) box springs? I haven't had any luck finding them. I will probably have to make one, but I have other things I need to spend my time doing. TIA for any suggestions.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
susieq07

What is the drop/length? most bed skirts go from 14" to 18"
Overstock has several at 14" plus you can uses risers to raise the bed if needed.

Bookmark   June 3, 2011 at 2:18PM
annac54

The drop is 9". The mattress is 16", so we went with the low-profile box spring as we didn't want the bed any higher.

Bookmark   June 4, 2011 at 2:01AM
les917

Do you need a bed skirt? You could consider covering the box spring with a fitted sheet in a color that compliments your bedding instead.

Otherwise, just buy one and shorten it.

Bookmark   June 4, 2011 at 5:39AM
jerseygirl_1

We have a low profile box spring also, We used a regular length bedskirt and pinned it up from the top of the mattress.. I got the idea from someone at Macy's who told me it's what they sometimes do. Worked out fine.

Bookmark   June 4, 2011 at 7:05AM
upa_lazy_river

Anna, I have a queen bed with a low profile box spring. A queen bedskirt hung too long but I found a "full" size bedskirt fit perfectly. Good luck. I didn't want to hem it either!!

Bookmark   June 5, 2011 at 12:05AM
annac54

Thanks for the suggestions. Maybe the queen will work on our king mattress. Otherwise, I'll try pinning it up. If all fails, I'll just shorten one. At the moment, I have enough going on with a kitchen re-do that's taking up a lot of time. I'm just tired of looking at the pink box spring which doesn't go with anything in that room.

Again, thanks for the suggestions.

Bookmark   June 5, 2011 at 3:26AM
emagineer

I was going to suggest safety pins also. Then got to thinking that maybe you could "hem" one with 1/4" iron on invisible tape. Would need ironing when new, so two for one activity and give you some nice body to the bedskirt fabric. I've used this before and it is easy, takes little time and looks really good rather than the normal little hemming on most.

Bookmark   June 5, 2011 at 7:45AM
Lyban

emagineer,
I have been thinking of iron on tape for somethings I have to do and was wondering is that removable if you ever change your mind or is it a permanent solution.

Bookmark   June 5, 2011 at 9:20AM
emagineer

Lyban,
It depends upon the tape. Check the package and play with it prior to a finished project. I have used some that allows me to pull apart later and washing will remove the rest. Also depends upon how hot the iron is. Read directions as too hot will melt the tape rather than come out as wanted. Iron the item for a fold wanted before using. It works well and gives a crisp edge without a hem showing. You can also use it for clothing...shortening pants, etc.

Bookmark   June 6, 2011 at 8:23AM
bbstx

Although I can't find it now, I read a blog where someone had cut their bedskirt up and hot glued it to the box springs. As she said, how much damage could she do to the value of used box springs?

If you didn't want to hot glue it, you could pin it to the box springs using quilting pins. If you choose to do that, get the curved quilting pins.

There are some ideas in the Comments section of the article linked below, including a link to an Etsy shop, and a tutorial on making a bedskirt with pins and a sheet.

Here is a link that might be useful: AT article

Bookmark   October 25, 2013 at 7:36AM
dbfirewife

Hot glue... what a great idea sounds like something I would think of... or Gorilla glue.... lol

Bookmark   October 25, 2013 at 11:46AM
chibimimi

Anna, if you're just tired of the pink, put a fitted sheet over the boxspring until you have time to come up with a permanent fix.

Bookmark   October 25, 2013 at 1:04PM
More Discussions
Colored crystal chandelier
Does anyone have good pics of colored crystal chandys?...
bossyvossy
TIGHT Space for Mirrors (Between the Light Fixture and Backsplash) :(
We are coming into the home stretch. Although there...
Monrovia Mom
What wall color with these woods?
Helping a friend on her bedroom. Right now the wall...
debrak_2008
Hardwood floors and adjoining room, help please
We are sanding and staining the wood in our living...
jtaime2
Help me style my living room!
I have no idea what to pair with this tan couch. I...
homestyles2
Sponsored Products
Tommy Bahama Surfside Stripe 4-piece Comforter Set
Overstock.com
Serena & Lily Swirl Appliqué Bedskirt
Serena & Lily
Chic Home Nori Embroidered Comforter Set - 56CQ107-HE
$133.99 | Hayneedle
Serena & Lily Linen Bedskirt
Serena & Lily
Trellis Ivory 5-piece Daybed Set
Overstock.com