RECIPE: The Secret to great sugar cookies

dawnpDecember 23, 2009

I just finished baking my Christmas Cutout Sugar Coookies and I wanted to share the secrets since so many people have trouble with sugar cookies being too dry etc. Several years ago a dear friend of mine taught me how to properly make sugar cookies and now I make them every year. They are always requested and always good.

(No matter what recipe you use) My biggest tips are roll them thick -maybe 3/8 to 1/4 inch in thickness. Also, bake them only until the bottoms are light brown in color. The tops may look white but that's Ok. Second, the icing. I use a buttercream recipe and add extra vanilla and a little salt. It makes an amazing difference in the cookies.

I hope this helps someone.

Happy Baking!

Dawn

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kathleenca

Dawn, I have a friend who makes sugar cookies every year & am sending her your tips. Thank you.

Merry Christmas,
Kathleen

Bookmark   December 23, 2009 at 10:48PM
jenn

Thank you! They are one of my favorite cookies, iced or plain. Just love that yummy vanilla-sugar flavor.

Bookmark   December 27, 2009 at 12:00AM
dinkans

Dawnp, you are so right! For years I searched for the perfect sugar cookie recipe. I found it, but it's really only perfect when I roll it thick and DON'T OVER BAKE THE COOKIES! Buttercream frosting is what I use too, but I've never added any salt - I'll try it next time! With grandkids and a huge investment in cookie cutters, I make sugar cookies almost every holiday. They have become expected!

Here's my PERFECT SUGAR COOKIE recipe - it's a little different/more complicated, but worth the effort!

3 eggs
1 cup melted margarine
1 cup sugar
2 tsp. vanilla
2 T baking powder
4 cups flour
1/4 tsp. salt

Beat whites till stiff. Beat yolks till creamy. Combine gently. Add melted margarine, sugar and vanilla. Beat. Sift dry ingredients together and work in. Chill. Roll 1/4-3/4" thick and cut. Bake on ungreased cookie sheet until JUST DONE on bottem. Remove from pan, cool, and frost.

These cookies are very good for cutting. They produce a thick, cake-like texture with a butter flavor. ENJOY!

Bookmark   January 2, 2010 at 12:03PM
More Discussions
RECIPE: Help! Flan
Friend from Dominican Republic served and gave me this...
glenda_al
RECIPE: Poached salmon
Planning this years New Years Eve dinner and would...
prairie_rose
LOOKING for: how to use peaches
somebody just gave 60 huge beautiful peaches BUT I...
ginnier
RECIPE: Oven Canned Tomatoes
Since 1974 I've used this recipe to process/can my...
CrazyHorse2
RECIPE: simple cabbage preparation
I'm looking for one or more simple ways to prepare...
melissa_thefarm
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™