Quilty-colored glasses

karpetAugust 1, 2011

I'm finding more and more that I look at things through my quilty-colored glasses (as opposed to rose-colored glasses!) Like the colors in the sky this morning - I was trying to note all the colors and hues and think about how to incorporate that into a quilt. Or over the last few weeks I keep noticing when the President speaks the colors on the wall behind him (there is the White House symbol in an oval that is more of a teal blue with the shades of white for the building and the background behind the oval is two shades of more purple-blue) - I would not have thought to put those colors together, but I really like them! What about you?

Karlene

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
quiltpartner

Too funny! I tend to look at fabrics more than color. I see a fabric in a store - even something someone in a store or at church is wearing! - & I immediately think about what it would look like in a quilt! I start mentally selecting a pattern for it, thinking about coordinating fabrics, :)...it gets a little crazy when DH asks me why I'm staring at drapes in a restaurant!

Bookmark   August 1, 2011 at 9:31AM
karpet

Ha! Or carpet! I even sketched out a pattern that was in the wall while a t.v. news interview was going on!

Bookmark   August 1, 2011 at 11:45AM
K8Orlando

For me, it's patterns. EVERYTHING I look at becomes a quilt pattern. I watched an old episode of Project Runway where they had to take pictures of street scenes in New York and come up with an outfit that evoked the scene: every single picture they took looked like the start of a quilt to me! No wonder my quilting To Do list is so long...

Kate

Bookmark   August 1, 2011 at 11:57AM
jennifer_in_va

Upholstery! That's where I see it. And usually it's in a fastfood restaurant. Chick-fil-a has ovals/circles centered on rectangles! lol

Bookmark   August 1, 2011 at 12:32PM
nannykins

The tile pattern on the bathroom floor gets my attention. Now how can I make that into a quilt.

Bookmark   August 1, 2011 at 1:22PM
msmeow

LOL, we were looking at tile for our bathroom remodel and the store had some round tile mosaics and I said, "Honey, it looks like a quilt! Can we get one?"

I also notice tile floors...they all look like quilts. I have a book called Bella, Bella Quilts that are all based on ancient tile floors in Europe.

Donna

Bookmark   August 1, 2011 at 1:50PM
grammyp

I'm always finding quilt inspiration when I travel. There is a lot in restroom tiles believe it or not.

beverly

Bookmark   August 1, 2011 at 1:54PM
karpet

There is a snowman decoration at work that comes out every winter. It is a mix of neutral background fabric with some very bold colors on top - when I look at it I never notice that the background and foreground don't 'match', I just notice how good they look together so I try to keep that in mind when putting fabrics together. My natural tendency is to be too coordinated which makes for a very blah quilt - all the colors fade together from a distance.

Bookmark   August 1, 2011 at 2:42PM
K8Orlando

Bella, Bella Quilts - yes, I've seen that book and the designs are amazing!

Bookmark   August 1, 2011 at 5:36PM
magothyrivergirl

I took a short 45 min workshop/lecture at our local quilt show given by one of the venders who was a former fabric designer for housewares & home furnishings-she showed us some very memorable items from the 70's & 80's she designed. Her entire talk was about finding inspiration for our colorways from nature. Her portfolio had old photos from a simple flower in her neighbor's yard, and how it evolved into a beautiful piece of fabric from breaking it down in sections and reproducing the shades. She uses nature for most of her designs - the veining in leaves, the feathers in birds. It was a very interesting lecture.

Bookmark   August 1, 2011 at 9:06PM
karpet

Okay, this is how bad I am. There was a stupid commercial on about respecting your t.p. by covering it up and I'm noticing the design on the cover up and plotting it out in my head for quilt blocks!!!

Bookmark   August 3, 2011 at 9:29AM
teresa_nc7

Guess I always have my "quilty" glasses on! I have found design inspiration in billboards, a Kleenex tissue box (still have it), fabrics that we make here where I work, and even in a magazine from Subaru that I get. Ideas for quilts are all around us!

Teresa

Bookmark   August 3, 2011 at 10:52AM
toolgranny

For me it's mostly geometry. Anything with lines and angles. I see patterns everywhere. My family laughs at me because I'm always saying "I could make a quilt out of that" as I drive by something. I watch a TV show and see colors in the background that inspire quilt ideas. Wait till you see what I make for this year's quilt show and you'll understand. It's still top secret.

Bookmark   August 3, 2011 at 11:05AM
benken

Last fall my husband & I went to D.C. We were at the Library of Congress and I was standing there pointing my camera at the floor. It had the neatest design in the tile and I'm still mulling it over.

Linda

Bookmark   August 4, 2011 at 3:55PM
quiltingfox

I find a lot of great pattern ideas from bathroom and kitchen tile adds. I look at it and think I could applique that. A bathroom tile add was where I got inspiration for the latest baby quilt I made and of course the add was in the back of a gardening magazine. I find myself observing patterns all around me and thinking of how I can duplicate them and put them in a quilt. :-)

Best to you,
Sandra

Bookmark   August 4, 2011 at 4:49PM
More Discussions
Old/new names
So I (we) don't lose anyone, I think listing our forum...
jennifer_in_va
2010 Birthday blocks together.
Haven't posted much lately as I had pneumonia from...
nanajayne
January, 2015 Quilting/Sewing Goals
Here we are in 2015......Black-eyes, collards and cornbread...
geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
Another feature found
So, I found another feature that I thought you a) might...
jennifer_in_va
Oh my!
Switching over to Houzz very challenging! I sure hope...
nannykins
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™