LOOKING for: City Chicken

countryhamDecember 13, 2008

Any one have a T&T Recipe for city chicken???

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ruthanna_gw

No recipe but I put cubes of pork or veal on wooden skewers, dredge in a mixture of flour, salt, pepper, paprika, and garlic powder and brown them in a small amount of fat (usually 2/3 oil and 1/3 butter).

I add enough water or chicken broth combined with 1/2 a pack of dried onion soup mix to cover them about half way. Cover pan and simmer for 45 minutes to a hour, turning the skewers over after 1/2 hour and adding more liquid if needed. The juices can be thickened with flour and water or served as is over the meat.

Bookmark   December 13, 2008 at 8:36AM
malna

This is one of DH's favorites!

1 lb. pork, cubed
1 lb. veal, cubed
1 egg
Seasoned flour
Cracker meal (not bread crumbs)

1. Roll cubes of meat in seasoned (salt, pepper, paprika, and/or garlic powder) flour. On bamboo skewers,
thread alternating pieces of pork and veal (about six pieces). Dip skewers in beaten egg (you can mix in
a tiny bit of milk or water), then in cracker meal. Refrigerate at least one hour or preferably overnight.

2. Place Crisco or peanut oil in skillet (olive oil may burn). Brown skewered meat on all sides until golden
brown. Transfer to baking dish and roast in oven at 350° for 45 minutes to 1 hour.

Bookmark   December 13, 2008 at 10:11AM
chase_gw

This was such a popular dish a church dinners and pot lucks back in the 70's. The Ukrainian ladies made the best ones. I have their church cookbook but it's in a box somewhere in the basement....... : (

They were dredged in flour rather than cracker meal, like Ruthanna describes, but they were cooked as malna describes, no liquid.

I'm betting this is a very regional dish with lots of spins.

Bookmark   December 13, 2008 at 1:29PM
busylizzy

I think your right about the regional recipes.
Near Pottsville, Pa I had city chicken dry on a skewer, but in Pittsburgh I had it served differently.

Either way, it is great

Bookmark   December 14, 2008 at 8:02AM
More Discussions
LOOKING for: how to use peaches
somebody just gave 60 huge beautiful peaches BUT I...
ginnier
LOOKING for: Easy Everyday Cooking Recipe Cards
Hi, I am looking for anyone that might have the "Easy...
LadyDianah
LOOKING for: Christmas Cookies
Is it time to start posting Christmas Cookies yet???...
roselin32
LOOKING for: Christmas Tree coffee cake
DH here... My mother used to make a coffee cake for...
dawninva
recipe: iso - shelf stable recipe for peache - not jam
Hi all, I have a lot of frozen peaches that I put up...
jennieboyer
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™