RECIPE: Knishes - Small bites

cookingrvcNovember 5, 2008

I had some puff pastry dough leftover from the Asian Chicken Rolls and made a small batch of mashed potatoes (on the dry side)to which I added sauteed onion, salt, pepper.

I spooned the mixture lengthwise on a rolled-out piece of puff pastry and folded it over two times. Placed the log on a parchment-lined baking sheet and gave a quick egg-yolk wash...baked at 400 for 30 minutes or so.

Be sure to let the mashed potatoes cool before rolling in the dough. One of my logs slit and flattened from the hot filling. Chilled filling might be best. Still was delicious served with brown deli mustard. These were inhaled by the crowd I was experimenting on.

Sue

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
eileenlaunonen

Yum...I love Knish I always wondered what that breading was around the potato.

Bookmark   November 6, 2008 at 9:51AM
cookingrvc

Hey Eileen. Hope all is well on your end of the island. I'll be out your way later this month for a party at the Irish Coffee Pub.

Yes, I always wondered about the covering on a square knish. I use to think they were deep fried. I know there's some serious fat in there, possibly lard or chicken fat?

sue

Bookmark   November 6, 2008 at 10:41AM
Carol Schmertzler Siegel

The squares are fried, the round ones are baked. Click on the link, it gives you all kinds of info on knishes and a recipe. Just scroll to the knish part.

Sounds great, Sue! I go to a place here that sells something similar called Borekas, they fill puff pastry with all kinds of filling besides the potato mixture.

Here is a link that might be useful: Arthur Schwartz Knishes...

Bookmark   November 6, 2008 at 6:26PM
cookingrvc

Thanks for the info dishes. Got to be about 25 years ago...we went to a big old Victorian house on the North Shore for a big party. The kitchen was huge and had an island which wasn't common back then. They had the dough rolled out and were making knishes!!

Son;t remember much else from that night but I do remember the knishes!

Nice recipe. Might give it a whirl this weekend.

Sue

Bookmark   November 6, 2008 at 10:37PM
Carol Schmertzler Siegel

Let us know how it comes out if you do! My grandma used to make them! She made the logs. They were really good, and always requested! I never did find her recipe.

Bookmark   November 7, 2008 at 5:04PM
More Discussions
RECIPE: Canning Recipe procedure
This may sound dumb but how tight should the lid on...
KenWade
LOOKING for: how to use peaches
somebody just gave 60 huge beautiful peaches BUT I...
ginnier
LOOKING for: mamma mia's (west allis wi) homemade garlic bread
Hello All, and Happy New Year!!! My wife and I grew...
azstoneconsulting
LOOKING for: Christmas Cookies
Is it time to start posting Christmas Cookies yet???...
roselin32
RECIPE: Help! Flan
Friend from Dominican Republic served and gave me this...
glenda_al
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™