Property Brothers

wilcox902July 26, 2012

Has any one watched this show? They buy the house at market value then spend 100k over the value of the other homes in the area lol, and why don't they show the houses next to the one they are remodeling.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
stir_fryi

How about Love It or List It? They sink $30,000-$50,000 into their house and then decide to sell it by the end of the episode. Miraculously, the "value" of their home increases by $20,000 more than they spent (usually for finishing the basement).

Maybe things are different in Canada...

Bookmark   July 26, 2012 at 7:21PM
ottawavalleygardener

Both are filmed in Toronto, which is a very hot market where almost anything will increase value in a home, it seems. I occasionally watch these shows for their entertainment value. As I've mentioned before, the thing that makes no sense with Love It or List It is that selling costs are never factored into the decision to sell. Since these are often expensive homes ($600,000+) the Realtor commission would be a lot!

Bookmark   July 26, 2012 at 9:43PM
EngineerChic

And, on PB the exterior of the homes almost never get a facelift. Some of those houses are downright depressing looking from the curb, I'd hate to pull up to that every day after spending an arm and a leg to renovate it.

Love it or List it is equally dumb, what with all the unexpected insect and moisture damage they find, or lack of planning for structural changes. Both are pure entertainment. Remember when HGTV used to be educational? Or at least you could learn something while being entertained?

Bookmark   July 27, 2012 at 8:37AM
trilobite

I haven't seen Property Brothers, but "Love it or List it" is so dumb I can't even watch it for entertainment value. There's willing suspension of disbelief and there's insulting the viewer with ridiculous scenarios.

Also, everyone on LIOLI (designer/realtor/homeowners) really struck me as obnoxious. Which I'm sure is 90% for the cameras but if I wanted to watch awful entitled people, I'd watch "Real Housewives".

Bookmark   July 27, 2012 at 9:56AM
mamattorney

I like the idea of Love it or List It because I think that people (like me) are in the middle of those decisions every day. Do I sink money into this house to make it better for my family, or do I just look for a new house that fits us better. But can't stand the formulaic nature of the show. For the "list it" part: house 1 & 2 are horrible; house 3 is practically perfect in every way. For the "love it" part: renovation budget will cover the whole house - oops, now we have to knock out 1/2 our plans for structural issues. Every.single.show. It's tedious and almost unwatchable.

Bookmark   July 27, 2012 at 12:47PM
cearbhaill

Any of these shows are for entertainment only and not at all representative of the real world in any way.
Just as we know that House Hunters is fake, I would not be surprised in the least to find out that Property Brothers scouts people who have already bought a house to renovate and builds their show backwards.

Again- none of these shows are what they try to appear to be.
Entertainment only.

Bookmark   July 27, 2012 at 12:55PM
sas95

Property Brothers does scout people who have already bought a fixer, and they provide some free labor and other stuff.

Property Brothers casting call

Bookmark   July 27, 2012 at 6:00PM
Mick Mick

The closing drama is purely for entertaiment.

Nevertheless I love that show! It is one of my favorites. The latest episodes have been based in Austin Texas. I read an article from one of the shows and learned that the homeowners had a much bigger renovation than what is featured on the show.

Bookmark   July 27, 2012 at 8:01PM
sapphire6917

I was only able to stomach a handful of these episodes and even less of Love It or List It. PB reminds me of the old show Hidden Potential and here is the question I have about both of them. Where does the renovation money come from? They start out by saying that the couple is approved for, say $500,000, for example, and they have a $40,000 down payment saved. Then they say they they can get the house they want for $440,000 and the reno budget is only $95,000 so they still come out on top by $5,000. But from what little I know, your closing costs and fees need to be paid from your cash and the bank is only going to give you what the house costs, regardless of what you were preapproved for. Am I missing something?

Bookmark   August 26, 2012 at 1:48PM
chispa

Am I missing something? ... only the fact that it is TV and everything is scripted and nothing is real!!! ;-)

Bookmark   August 26, 2012 at 2:10PM
blueheron

Income Property is an interesting show, but I wonder who actually pays for the renovation?

And some of those houses in Canada seem to be way overpriced and not very attractive from the outside as someone said.

Bookmark   August 26, 2012 at 6:27PM
clax66

It ain't real, don'tcha know!

Love It or List It and Property Brothers are both shows that originated in Toronto. To the Americans on this site who think the housing stock is unattractive...I apologize for the shabbiness of my hometown, but property prices are through the roof here and there is still no end in sight to rising prices for detached homes in the city's 416 boundaries.

The detached homes in my 'hood go for $850,000 to upwards of $1.2 million. Four of those homes were profiled on Love It or List It. My aesthetician was on the show. She had no intention of moving..she just wanted a new kitchen. She was edited to look like the mean one on the show and she taped two different endings; one list and one to keep. She kept her home but the show chose the list ending.

Bookmark   September 7, 2012 at 9:09PM
brickeyee

It is in on TV is is full of unstated things and amounts to entertainment, nothing more.

Bookmark   September 8, 2012 at 9:43AM
cmarlin20

I hate the drama on LIOLI, and I don't see any value I can take away from the show, so I don't watch it.
Some shows on HGTV can give someone ideas for themselves, I like that.

I don't care that HGTV is scripted, I know it is TV.

Bookmark   September 8, 2012 at 1:19PM
tripletmom83

Claxx66, it's really not much different in NYC and other large cities. To those of us who live where property is much less expensive, it is just rather shocking. I live in upstate NY, and for $850,000 I could buy a gorgeous mansion on acres of land. I just could never afford it.
Aside from that, just want to say we've vacationed in Toronto several times and we just love it there. It is a great city and although I haven't seen every neighborhood I certainly never noticed any shabbiness. In fact the comments are usually about how the Canadians take better care of their property than the Americans as a whole.

Bookmark   September 8, 2012 at 1:26PM
More Discussions
what do you do with mail that comes for previous occupants?
I always get mail that is meant for previous occupants...
tlbean2004
Retiree - rent or buy home
We are newly retired and have a plan to sell our current...
waterlily_girl
Best time to List a House
Is there a best time to list a house for sale? We have...
hayden2
Emotional rollercoaster of home selling
Lately, this process of having my condo up for sale...
Acco
Hall bathroom with claw foot tub, garden view but no shower.
We have a 4 bd, 3 bath house that I am getting ready...
gwarring
Sponsored Products
A-America Montreal Wide Dining Server - Espresso - MONES9010
$898.00 | Hayneedle
Rizzy Home Vicki Payne Trellis Print Decorative Throw Pillow - T05645
$26.00 | Hayneedle
Rizzy Home Flower Applique and Embroidered Decorative Accent Pillow Multicolor -
$32.00 | Hayneedle
Grand Basics Black 20-in. Pillow Set - RIZ398
$52.00 | Hayneedle
Couristan Sagano Zodiac Rug - 88450845035055T
$279.00 | Hayneedle
Christy of England Bloomsbury Stripe Sheets - 120005571126513720
$69.00 | Hayneedle
Rizzy Home Applique of Crochet Cotton Decorative Throw Pillow Multicolor - PILT0
$48.00 | Hayneedle
Rizzy Home Valencia Duvet with Poly Insert Bed Set - BT0970KING
$364.00 | Hayneedle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™