LOOKING for: recipes using celeriac (or celery root)

shamboNovember 6, 2007

Bought one today and now don't quite know what to do with it. Is it best used raw in salads, mashed like potatoes, or pureed in soup? Can it be roasted like other fall vegetables? Thanks for your help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ginger_st_thomas

Yes to about all your questions. Here's one recipe & at the link below you'll find lots more.
CELERY KNOB PARMIGIANA (serves 6)
4 celery knobs
1 TBL lemon juice
2 tsp salt
6 TBL butter,melted
1/2 cup grated Parmesan
2 TBL chopped parsley

Preheat oven to 425°. Peel the celery knobs & cut them into thin little sticks about 2"long. Drop the pieces into boiling water to cover with the lemon juice & salt added. Cook about 10 minutes or until just tender. Do not overcook. Drain.
butter a baking dish large enough to hold the celery knobs. Arrange a layer of the drained pieces & sprinkle w/some of the melted butter & some of the cheese. Continue to fill the dish with drained pieces, butter & cheese. Continue to fill the dish with drained pieces, butter & cheese. If desired, each layer may be sprinkled with a little black pepper & paprika.
Bake 15 minutes or until the cheese is golden brown. Sprinkle a border of parsley around the edge & serve the celery knobs in the baking dish.~~Craig Claiborne

Here is a link that might be useful: Celeriac Recipes

Bookmark   November 7, 2007 at 3:58AM
shambo

Thanks for the info, Ginger. I'm probably going to get around to using it tomorrow.

Bookmark   November 7, 2007 at 4:09PM
dances_in_garden

I like it roasted. I peel it and cut into cubes then toss with olive oil and seasonings with other veggies and roast as you would normally.

I like it. It has a slight celery flavour and an interesting texture.

Bookmark   November 8, 2007 at 5:50PM
More Discussions
recipe: iso - shelf stable recipe for peache - not jam
Hi all, I have a lot of frozen peaches that I put up...
jennieboyer
RECIPE: Looking for a few ideas
My husband and I are invited to a neighborhood party...
dspen
RECIPE: Canning Recipe procedure
This may sound dumb but how tight should the lid on...
KenWade
RECIPE: Nut filled crescent rolls
Hi all, when I was a young girl, my mom would get together...
dspen
LOOKING for: how to use peaches
somebody just gave 60 huge beautiful peaches BUT I...
ginnier
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™