14 year old Stove Fix Self Cleaning: Really?

BelfastBoundJuly 1, 2014

Over the last 3 years we have updated everything in our circa 1988 home from contact paper to knobs and light fixtures, painted every room, put down hardwood and new carpet. We have a freestanding double oven and the smaller oven broke, we fixed it for $350. Now same oven will not self clean. Hubby wants to put another $400 into it. I say no way. What would you do after laying out 50K in upgrades? Thx for your support.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rrah

I agree with your husband.

Bookmark   July 1, 2014 at 5:22PM
Crackermoo

I agree with your husband, too.

Bookmark   July 1, 2014 at 6:24PM
pixie_lou

Are you planning on selling your house? If selling isn't a concern, I'd just live with it. Or replace the whole thing. But for selling, I'd probably do the repair.

Bookmark   July 1, 2014 at 7:37PM
deee_gw

This is a built in double oven and not a range? How long after the repair did the self cleaning feature stop working? (I am a bit suspicious of your repair person.)

If I were selling, I would just replace it. You can get a new one for $1,000. It's 14 years old. Who knows what else could happen to it between now and when you sell the house? Why give potential buyers something to nit pick about?

If you aren't selling, I would just live with it and not make the repair. Use the other oven for messy cooking.

Bookmark   July 2, 2014 at 7:35AM
BelfastBound

We are selling. It is a range. Thanks Deee I will call the repair guy. We didn't turn on self cleaning until 2 months later. From what I read on the web, this is a feature that breaks other parts of your oven and is to be avoided BTW. I will look at craigslist to see what can be had for $400 :)

Bookmark   July 2, 2014 at 8:21AM
breenthumb

For what it's worth, DD works at Lowes and says their appliance prices are insane (low) this weekend. Of course, its always easy to spend someone else's money.

Bookmark   July 2, 2014 at 9:58PM
More Discussions
escrow account for a repair
We received an offer on our house! The house is priced...
karin_2009
Seller isn't signing the sale contract
Land has been on the market for 1.5 yrs and asking...
net42k
Realtor company fee
Buyer agent told me there is $300 fee to realtor company....
net42k
can he evict us?.
almost a year ago me and my girlfriend and her 5 yr...
Joseph Gonser
Happy story: my sis just bought her first house
Just thought I'd share a happy story! My sister's been...
robo (z6a)
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™