RECIPE: Pork Chops With Sweet and Sour Cider Glaze

woodie2November 3, 2008

I tried this recipe last night and it was a winner. As some of the reviewers also did, I used some Dijon mustard instead of mustard seeds - maybe about a tablespoon. I could eat the cider sauce with a spoon!

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Pork-Chops-with-Sweet-and-Sour-Cider-Glaze-104392

Pork Chops with Sweet-and-Sour Cider Glaze

Gourmet : December 2000

Active time: 15 min Start to finish: 25 min

Yield: Makes 2 servings

2 (1-inch-thick) pork rib chops (1 lb total)

1 tablespoon olive oil

1 cup apple cider

1 1/2 tablespoons packed light brown sugar

2 tablespoons cider vinegar

1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds

Preparation

Pat pork chops dry and season with salt and pepper. Heat oil in a 12-inch nonstick skillet over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking, then sauté chops until browned on both sides, about 10 minutes total.

Stir together cider and brown sugar and add to skillet. Simmer, uncovered, turning chops once, until meat is almost cooked through, about 3 minutes. Transfer chops to a plate.

Add vinegar and mustard seeds to sauce and boil, stirring to scrape up any brown bits, until reduced to about 1/3 cup, about 5 minutes. Return chops with any juices on plate to skillet and simmer until meat is just cooked through and sauce is slightly thickened, about 2 minutes.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ginger_st_thomas

That sounds good, Woodie. I love pork chops.

Bookmark   November 3, 2008 at 4:42PM
Carol Schmertzler Siegel

That sounds really good, Woodie! I never had pork chops before I'm putting it on the shopping list! What'd you serve with it?

Bookmark   November 3, 2008 at 8:10PM
compumom

YUM! I'm cutting and pasting to my "to try" list! Thanks!

Bookmark   November 4, 2008 at 2:55AM
compumom

Did you buy fresh cider or use something bottled from the market?

Bookmark   November 4, 2008 at 2:57AM
woodie2

Compumom, we have fresh cider cause we are in apple country.

Dishes - get out! You've never had a pork chop? That just amazes me :) I served cubed butternut squash roasted with rosemary and just a plain baked potato and of course you know that Ken had his salad (and so did I).

I'm sure you could just make the sauce by itself and use it over a pork tenderloin, if you'd like. But, I'm a pork chop lover here and its hard for me to think that somebody has never had one! Just FYI - I buy the center cut, loin chops (with a bone). You can also buy boneless but they can get to be very tough if you're not careful. I think this recipe would do well with a boneless chop, but boneless chops just needs a short cooking time - maybe 3-4 minutes a side, otherwise you'll get little hockey pucks.

Bookmark   November 4, 2008 at 7:39AM
chase_gw

Thanks Woodie! I have several packages of chops in my freezer and I'm always looking for ways to serve them. This sounds like something that would go over well here!

Thanks again

Bookmark   November 4, 2008 at 8:19AM
brenda55

Woodie, that sounds great. I wonder how tht would work in a crock pot as my time standing in kitchen is limited for awhile.

thanks again for the recipe.

brenda

Bookmark   November 5, 2008 at 9:51AM
wizardnm

I've been hung up on a cider glaze that I buy at work. I'm going to try this recipe...it sounds great! May even throw an apple into the pan.

Thanks Woodie....I always like what you do.

Nancy

Bookmark   November 6, 2008 at 9:10PM
woodie2

Brenda, I really don't know too much about crockpot cooking but I'd say hey why not?

Nancy, thank you for the kind words, I hope you like it and when I googled up recipes the other day for pork chops and cider I found plenty that called for apples, but I didn't have an apple in the house.

Bookmark   November 6, 2008 at 9:59PM
More Discussions
RECIPE: Oven Canned Tomatoes
Since 1974 I've used this recipe to process/can my...
CrazyHorse2
LOOKING for: Christmas Cookies
Is it time to start posting Christmas Cookies yet???...
roselin32
RECIPE: Canning Recipe procedure
This may sound dumb but how tight should the lid on...
KenWade
RECIPE: Green Tomato Cake
This was really good! Green Tomato Cake 199 reviews...
iris_gal
RECIPE: Nut filled crescent rolls
Hi all, when I was a young girl, my mom would get together...
dspen
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™