TV - Leave it to the imagination?

seekingsunJuly 2, 2013

Our living room has the TV (big flat screen) and TV stand in the corner of the room. Blocking 2 very nice floor to ceiling picture windows...It is really the only place to put the TV in the room (never worked well for us either).

So, do we take out the TV and just stage the living room as a sitting area? Or leave the awkward TV which blocks a major selling point (newer windows and natural light). My husband says people won't be able to decide/picture where to put their TV if we take it out. This is the only living space for a TV unless we put one in what is now our office (which is technically a bedroom...).

Opinions?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
deeje

I'd vote for taking it out, but making sure that the cable jack is visible. I don't need to see a tv, but I do want to know where one is possible without calling in someone to run wiring for me.

Bookmark   July 2, 2013 at 4:01PM
LuAnn_in_PA

I would also take it out.

Bookmark   July 2, 2013 at 4:28PM
sameboat

I vote to remove the TV.

Bookmark   July 2, 2013 at 5:09PM
hayden2

Don't know what relative size you're dealing with, but a hybrid decision might be to take down the big flatscreen, but buy a much smaller TV that doesn't block the windows, but shows where the TV cable is. A small TV isn't very expensive.

Bookmark   July 2, 2013 at 5:53PM
hayden2

Don't know what relative size you're dealing with, but a hybrid decision might be to take down the big flatscreen, but buy a much smaller TV that doesn't block the windows, but shows where the TV cable is. A small TV isn't very expensive.

Bookmark   July 2, 2013 at 5:55PM
ottawavalleygardener

Another vote for removing it.

Bookmark   July 2, 2013 at 6:35PM
tinan

Remove it! When we bought our brand new condo the models were staged without TVs. The loft design actually did make TV placement awkward, but we bought the place anyway... I would definitely not call attention to the fact that that's the only place you think is available, or block the windows.

Bookmark   July 2, 2013 at 8:16PM
weedyacres

+1 to the above: remove it. We've got ours upstairs in the bonus room.

Bookmark   July 2, 2013 at 10:04PM
littlebug5

Agree on removal. Why call attention to this design flaw? Also, don't assume that your buyers will put a TV in that room anyway.

Bookmark   July 2, 2013 at 11:36PM
nosoccermom

Absolutely remove it. Some people have small TVs, others move it in a spare bedroom. Your living room will look a lot more attractive and there's no need to point out that TV placement may be a potential problem.

Bookmark   July 3, 2013 at 2:08PM
xamsx

And another vote for removal.

Bookmark   July 5, 2013 at 9:40AM
Crackermoo

Well, clearly you don't need yet another vote for removing the TV, but here it is anyway. I have the same situation and when I am ready to market my home, I plan to remove my TV and replace it with a chair or bookshelf.

I've noticed that there are rarely TVs in model homes that I've toured. I think there's a reason for that -- no TV means less "stuff" cluttering up the room and nobody has to see awkward cables and wires.

Bookmark   July 7, 2013 at 4:02PM
More Discussions
Seller not allowing final walk-through before closing
Hi, I am struggling with a strange situation in my...
musicgold
Should we buy a home that was unoccupied for 6 years?
There is a cup-de-sac where a builder built 5 homes,...
coffeemama1
Purchasing a Home with a Converted Attic
My bf and I are looking to buy a 3 bedroom with room...
bellemorte9506
Preparing to list starter home w/o dishwasher etc.: how big a problem?
When I bought it and redid the kitchen, I replaced...
gramarows
trying to buy worried about appraisals
I looked at a house, liked it an made an offer. The...
neobuyer
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™