RECIPE: Cranberry-Almond Coffeecake

lucynyNovember 5, 2007

I love cranberries & almonds together, I made this recently & enjoyed it immensely.

Lucy

Cranberry-Almond Coffeecake

This moist, golden cake hides a double layer of cranberry sauce and a sprinkling of almonds. ItÂs a lovely cake for Thanksgiving breakfast; and makes a satisfying autumn dessert, as well. This recipe comes from our James Beard award-winning best-seller, "The King Arthur Flour BakerÂs Companion."

1/2 cup (1 stick, 4 ounces) butter

1 cup (7 ounces) granulated sugar

2 large eggs

1 cup (8 ounces) buttermilk or yogurt (low-fat is fine)

1 teaspoon almond extract

1 teaspoon baking powder

1 teaspoon baking soda

2 cups (8 1/2 ounces) King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 cup (10 3/4 ounces) whole berry cranberry sauce

1/2 cup blanched slivered or sliced almonds, toasted*

Glaze

3/4 cup (3 ounces) confectioners' sugar

2 tablespoons (1 ounce) milk

1/2 teaspoon almond extract

*Spread almonds in an ungreased 9" round cake pan, and bake in a preheated 350°F oven for 8 to 10 minutes, until theyÂre a light golden brown.

Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease a 10-cup (9" to 9 ½") tube pan or bundt-style pan.

In a large bowl, beat the butter and sugar till smooth. Beat in the eggs, then the buttermilk or yogurt and almond extract. Scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl, and beat briefly again, to make sure everything is well combined. Add the baking powder, baking soda, flour, and salt, stirring just to blend. Grease and flour a tube pan. Spoon half of batter into pan. Spread half of cranberry sauce evenly atop batter, then spread remaining batter over that. Top with remaining cranberry sauce, and sprinkle toasted almonds evenly over sauce.

Bake the cake for 55 minutes, tenting it with foil for the final 15 minutes. When itÂs done, a cake tester inserted into the thickest part will come out clean, and the top will spring back when you press it gently. Remove the cake from the oven, and cool it in pan for 5 minutes. After 5 minutes, turn it out of the pan onto a rack set over a piece of parchment, and stir together the glaze ingredients.

Drizzle the thin glaze over the warm cake. Let the cake cool completely before serving (or serve it warm, if you don't mind it crumbling a bit!)

Yield: 1 cake, 14 to 16 servings.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fearlessem

Hi Lucy --

This sounds totally delicious, but I have one question. It sounds like the second layer of cranberry sauce goes on top of the last batch of batter. Since this is baked in a tube pan / bundt cake pan, when the cake is flipped over, this would leave a layer of cranberry sauce at the bottom, which I would think would get kind of messy when plating / serving? Does that last layer of cranberry sauce kind of sink into the cake when baking?

Emily

Bookmark   November 5, 2007 at 5:14PM
lucyny

Emily,
The coffeecake is delicious.. To answer your question, the cake batter envelopes that last layer of cranberry sauce, leaving no mess to deal with. I didn't think of taking a photo of mine when I made it, here's a link to the photo of the finished cake.

Lucy

Here is a link that might be useful: Photo of Cranberry-Almond Coffeecake

Bookmark   November 5, 2007 at 6:47PM
lucyny

Emily,
I forgot to mention that last layer of cranberries, I placed a ring of the cranberries in the center of the batter to insure the cake would bake over the cranberries and it did.
Lucy

Bookmark   November 5, 2007 at 7:03PM
fearlessem

Thanks Lucy -- this sounds fantastic -- I will make it and let you know how it turns out!

Emily

Bookmark   November 5, 2007 at 9:09PM
mamalou

Thanks Lucy, sound and looks yummy!

Bookmark   November 7, 2007 at 12:23PM
More Discussions
LOOKING for: how to use peaches
somebody just gave 60 huge beautiful peaches BUT I...
ginnier
LOOKING for: Dip and spread mixes sold at craft shows
Does anyone know where I can find recipes for the dip...
NanaCherie
RECIPE: Help! Flan
Friend from Dominican Republic served and gave me this...
glenda_al
LOOKING for: Easy Everyday Cooking Recipe Cards
Hi, I am looking for anyone that might have the "Easy...
LadyDianah
RECIPE: simple cabbage preparation
I'm looking for one or more simple ways to prepare...
melissa_thefarm
Sponsored Products
Anolon Advanced Open French Nonstick Hard-Anodized Aluminum 8 in. Skillet Multic
$24.99 | Hayneedle
Blue Flavor-It 20-Oz. Glass Water Bottle
$9.99 | zulily
Zigzag Magnet Board
$44.99 | zulily
Anolon Advanced 14 Inch Open French Skillet - 81958
$59.99 | Hayneedle
Calphalon Simply Nonstick 12 in. Jumbo Fryer with Cover - SA1612HP
$49.99 | Hayneedle
Ultimate Truffle Collection - GOLD
$165.00 | Horchow
Gold Affinity Cable-Knit Throw
$39.99 | zulily
Darlee Series 60 Cast Aluminum 36 in. Square Pedestal Dining Table - 201060-I-AB
$519.99 | Hayneedle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™