Help!! First Landscape Quilt

agnesdJuly 5, 2011

This is my first landscape quilt. It's the view from my cousins house in Chile. I have most of the picture figured out but was wondering about the snow capped volcano's upper portion. It will be off white but should I use separate fabric for the shading? Was thinking of thread painting but I have never attempted that technique. Any advice about anything in the photo would be a help. I am using batiks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
agnesd

Bookmark   July 5, 2011 at 10:23PM
nanajayne

I think that I would like to see a batik with shading used if you could find one with the correct coloring. Another option would be to use the shading markers that are available now. I have seen them used by "Nancy Z" when she demonstrated landscape quilting.

Bookmark   July 5, 2011 at 11:17PM
bonica

I would try paper piecing the mountain using the same fabric, just different areas of it. Maybe this would give you a subtle shading effect. I might even try it with putting the snowy top and dark bottom fabrics together before hand and doing the whole mountain in one pp section.
This may give you a nice effect especially if you're piecing that cloudy sky with soft curves. I dunno. It's just a thot.
As for thread painting, IMHO, it's not as easy as you'd think it should be and ripping out THOSE threads is truly annoying!
I've done a lot of shading with markers on floral pieces and it works very well and looks great. Start with light strokes and keep going over the same area until you have it right. Do not let you pens linger on the fabric as they will bleed.
Good Luck!
Don't forget show and tell!
Bon
:)

Bookmark   July 6, 2011 at 7:24AM
magothyrivergirl

The featured speaker at the last Guild meeting was a local artist who talked about a variety of techniques - her favorite was cutting out pieces of the perfect shading from misc objects in different fabrics to achieve the look she wanted in landscape and picture quilts. You have to dissect other prints and solids to get the correct shading & texture. She then used needle turned applique when constructing. (Clear as mud, right?)
It is a beautiful picture. Good luck.

Bookmark   July 6, 2011 at 7:36AM
K8Orlando

A beautiful picture and a challenging project!

I haven't done a landscape so probably can't help at all, but I have seen and admired them. I especially like the Landscape Row Robins, where a picture is cut into 5 vertical strips and each member of the robin does one of the strips.

I like the idea of using batiks because the shading can be so subtle and would seem to compliment this picture. A little thread painting (after some practice on scraps!) would be perfect for the snow and sky details.

Please keep us informed! I want to see how this turns out.

Kate

Bookmark   July 6, 2011 at 10:23AM
equilter

I have taken a couple of classes where tulle is used to shade. Tulle comes in many colors and there are some smokey shades of it, too, that could probably add a subtle shading. Good luck! Eileen

Bookmark   July 8, 2011 at 8:36PM
fran1523

I was just going to recommend tulle as well. You could experiment with cutting out the desired shape and appliqueing it over the white.

Bookmark   July 9, 2011 at 9:50AM
More Discussions
Spider Web
And I still have lots of scraps!!! The first border...
nannykins
National Quilting Day March 21, 2015
The third Saturday of March is National Quilting Day...
geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
MARCH 2015 Lotto Block
MARCH Friendship Star 12-1/2" - Black and white...
beth7happy
2015 February Block Lotto
(posting this a bit early so you can get a head start...
toolgranny
Retreat finishes: 2013-2014
Three down...don't ask how many more to go :-)! All...
littlehelen_gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™