efflorescence in crawl space

coldplumJuly 21, 2014

We're getting ready to sell our home and discovered the white powdery stuff on one of the walls in the crawl space.

We've been living here for over 25 years, and have never noticed it before. That doesn't mean it wasn't there though. We've never noticed any moisture in the crawl space. We store a lot of stuff down there, and nothing has ever felt damp.

I've been reading up on efflorescence, and apparently is can be quite easy to remove in some cases.

Even if we remove it though, this is something we should disclose when selling the house. I'm now worried that this could be something serious and cost a lot to repair. Is it possible that it's something minor.

It's amazing how differently we see our homes, when we start looking closely for selling. I'm not sure how to proceed. Should I call someone to see what might be causing it?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tlbean2004

I dont see it as that big of a deal.
Let who ever buys the home get an inspection done and see what the inspector says.
I dont really think it needs to be disclosed.
I purchased my house 5 years ago and one corner of the house gets standing water when it rains and that was not disclosed to me.

Bookmark   July 21, 2014 at 3:01PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
coldplum

thanks for your reply.

Bookmark   July 24, 2014 at 2:43PM
More Discussions
Home Buyers Please Vote: Would you rather ...
1. A $2,000 kitchen appliance allowance or any stainless...
belfastbound
something to check when buying a home (pets/carpet)
something i wish i'd checked out before purchasing...
kiki_redo
Why would nosey realtor say these things?
It is clear my house lacks a wow factor. I over de-cluttered...
belfastbound
Seller isn't signing the sale contract
Land has been on the market for 1.5 yrs and asking...
net42k
Move into a rent house while selling current house?
I'm trying to figure out if this is a good idea or...
anniebeagle
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™