Vintage aluminum office chair

franksmom_2010May 11, 2012

I needed a little resale therapy today, so I went to one of the junk stores in town, and brought this home for $6.

It's made by Goodform, and from what I can find on the net, made anywhere between the 1930's-1950's. And apparently I got a bargain!

I have no idea how to restore aluminum, so if anyone has any suggestions, I'd sure appreciate it. I was going to start with some mild dish soap and a paste of baking soda for the heavier crud.

The ?rubber arms are in OK shape...there's some scuffs and scratches and dings, but it's not horrible.

To reupholster the seat, would a regular furniture upholsterer be able to do this, or would an auto seat place be a better choice? I haven't figured out how to remove the seat and back, but it looks like I'll be able to without much trouble. Now my only decision is to go with a similar perforated vinyl or leather.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
justgotabme

That's a neat looking chair you got there. Unless you want to restore it to keep it's value I'd have some fun with it and maybe have the aluminum painted at an auto body shop and upholstered in some awesome bright colors.

Here is a link that might be useful: Goodform office chair like yours?

Bookmark   May 11, 2012 at 11:16PM
franksmom_2010

Thanks!

I really like the aluminum, although it's gotten a bit trendy lately, but I liked it before it was fashionable. LOL!

So, has anyone ever had a seat like that reupholstered? I just don't know the best route to get that done, although I suppose either a furniture or auto place could do it. And I'm thinking of using leather rather than the vinyl. I know almost nothing about leather upholstery, so I'd appreciate any tips on buying the fabric.

Bookmark   May 13, 2012 at 9:21PM
graywings123

For the aluminum frame, you can clean it with TSP mixed with water. Scrub it on with steel wool, and then rinse really well.

Bookmark   May 14, 2012 at 7:55AM
loves2read

you--if you have any handy sewing skills--can upholster the seat with fabric...
using leather would be more difficult and not for a beginner--
lot up upholstery how-to's on the Internet

the chair currently has a piped seam but don't know that you would HAVE to actually use that when you recover the seat...it would just a a different look...

Bookmark   May 14, 2012 at 9:34AM
More Discussions
Window treatments for short windows
My house is an 80s split foyer with short (36")...
cevamal
Red / burgundy accent wall?
Hi all! Would love your opinions on this ! My husband...
eesmerelda
Need help picking out colors for my bedroom
Here is a picture of my very bare room. The vision...
jmdkc
Ellen's Design Challenge final - spoiler alert
Spoilers below -- but, I really want to know the answer. I...
edie_thiel
Is Restoration Hardware bedding worth it?
I've been searching for the perfect white quilt for...
artydecor
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™