#@//% ack!

quiltnhenJuly 26, 2014

Don't know what that says, but it sure isn't nice!

Weeks of worrying about what quilt pattern to use on my son's quilt. Days of practicing alternatives. Today I took it to the quilt shop to buy the thread and got good advice on which quilting motif to use.

Naturally on the practice piece things looked good. Well...not so when I started the quilt...

So, clean the machine oil it, change the tension repeatedly, change the needle twice.

About 2+ hours later I finally started. It's not perfect yet, but I've at least started.
LindaB/CA

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
grammyp

I have so been there, not a fun day. I ended up taking the tension assembly apart and cleaning it. They always seem to know when it is an important quilt, then they break down.

beverly

Bookmark   July 26, 2014 at 9:48PM
loisflan

So I'm quilting the first turtle block on my new Tiara. The tension is perfect, and the quilting turned out great. I was so excited... until I took the quilt out from under the needle and realized that somehow my little practice quilt had been picked up by my turtle quilt and I had very neatly quilted through them both. So, I had to rip out the first block. It could have been so much worse. If I had been doing an all over pattern and not realized my mistake, I might have gone on for much longer than just one block. Oh, the joys of a new toy.

Bookmark   July 26, 2014 at 10:01PM
quiltnhen

Thanks for the sympathy. Wow loisf, sure glad you caught it early, no pun intended!
LindaB/CA

Bookmark   July 26, 2014 at 10:12PM
toolgranny

Some machines are very picky about what threads will work on quilting. I solved my problems by changing brands of threads. I used one specific brand for years and lately found a second that my machine can use. So, you might try experimenting with threads as well.

Bookmark   July 27, 2014 at 10:05AM
quiltnhen

Thanks toolgranny. I should probably try something new. I used King Tut a lot recently, but had no problems. Some of the problem seems to be the backing fabric. It's kind if a crispy feeling batik I bought on sale online. The machine has a little trouble over seams and frequently misses on the back of the work. I think it's working ok now when the operator is careful over seams and sews at an even speed. Sure hope so, I haven't been back upstairs since the bobbin and my back ran out last night.
Love Dharma too.
LindaB/CA

Bookmark   July 27, 2014 at 10:56AM
quiltnhen

Yah! Removing the slider thingy helped too!

Bookmark   July 28, 2014 at 1:41PM
More Discussions
2015 February Block Lotto
(posting this a bit early so you can get a head start...
toolgranny
2010 Birthday blocks together.
Haven't posted much lately as I had pneumonia from...
nanajayne
MARCH 2015 Lotto Block
MARCH Friendship Star 12-1/2" - Black and white...
beth7happy
January, 2015 Quilting/Sewing Goals
Here we are in 2015......Black-eyes, collards and cornbread...
geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
2015 Lotto Blocks
Finished Feb. Lotto block and want to get started on...
ibquiltn4fun
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™