Smith and Noble Alternatives

chefwongMay 28, 2012

alrighty GW gang. Where else do ya'll order shades and such.

Blinds shopping and shades are on my todo list.

I have seen some where the fit and finish are amazing. It's as if the pulls are on ball bearings, etc. Then again, this was a walkthrough in a house in which the homeowner spent 700K just on windows *not window treatments* but windows alone.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
palimpsest

The Shade Store seems to be a bit better material and function wise, in my opinion. In the house you walked through, you were probably looking at something like Mechoshade

Here is a link that might be useful: Mechoshade

Bookmark   May 29, 2012 at 8:03AM
dedtired

I ordered mine from a local shade shop that carries all the big lines. I have a lot of Levolor cellular blinds and some others like Bali. I compared the cost of Smith & Noble and some other online stores and my store was about the same. The big difference was that he brought samples out to the house, measured and installed.

The worst blinds I have are roller blinds that I got from Home Depot. I ordered them from a small sample and didn't like thm so much when they got here. I also had to struggle to install them myself. Anyway, that's my experience with shades!

Bookmark   May 29, 2012 at 8:29AM
stinky-gardener

JCPenney also will do as Dedtired's shop does-come out and measure, bring samples, and discuss options with you.

Don't be put off by "Penneys!" They have some very current, very good quality products and they do a good job installing them.

Custom window treatments are not inexpensive anywhere, including Penneys, but they are relatively reasonable there, imo.

Bookmark   May 29, 2012 at 9:40AM
natal

I've ordered from S&N and Penney's. Like Dedtired said they're comparable in price. Penney's carries Bali, Kirsch, and Levolor. They have samples in house and you can also order free samples through them or online.

Bookmark   May 29, 2012 at 11:45AM
Christie Santercangelo

I got a quote from smith and noble. I loved their fabrics, I actually stopped into Penneys and found the idential fabrics and spent about 40% less. I was happy with the finished product.

Bookmark   May 29, 2012 at 1:23PM
Sueb20

If you have a Budget Blinds franchise anywhere near you, I have used them in 2 states have been happy with both. They come to you and bring sample books, measure, order, and install.

I have had inconsistent experiences with Smith and Noble.

Bookmark   May 29, 2012 at 5:09PM
drybean

Try Payless decor. Com. I have read good things about them. I ordered some samples that were great. I ended up not using them as I found out aware moving in July. But for our next house, I will likely order from them.

Bookmark   June 5, 2012 at 6:29PM
lazydaisynot

Recently used Steves Blinds online, which I first heard about here. Cellular shades we ordered seem comparable to the Hunter Douglas we've purchased before. Much cheaper. Quick, too.

Bookmark   June 5, 2012 at 8:21PM
More Discussions
Duvet cover
Should my duvet be the same size as the comforter it...
karenklm
What wall color with these woods?
Helping a friend on her bedroom. Right now the wall...
debrak_2008
Grey-blue paint
So our master bath is sea glass green (well kinda,...
angiern2004
Need Help Decorating My Bedroom
Hi there, I'm excited to be here! This is my very first...
jmdkc
Should I give up on percale sheets?
JC Penny doesn't have their easy care percale anymore...
marys1000
Sponsored Products
Smith's Diamond Edge Elite Electric Knife Sharpener
Overstock.com
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Surya Rugs B. Smith Brown 5 ft. x 8 ft.
Home Depot
Hacienda Ikat Outdoor Pillow - MULTI COLORS
$175.00 | Horchow
Kichler Gold Smith 32" Round Wall Mirror
Lamps Plus
Maharam Pillow in Glen, 18x26
Design Within Reach
Mocha Full and Queen Quilt
$140.95 | Bellacor
Millennium Wall Sconce No. 8801 by Quoizel
$129.99 | Lumens
Smith Mountain Post Lantern