Homeowner's Insurance costs?

sonopolyJuly 10, 2009

I'm sorry to be posting here, but I need info quickly and this is the most active board and people seem helpful and knowledgeable here.

I am shopping for new homeowner's insurance and am getting quotes of wide ranges of prices. I want decent coverage but want a good deal as well (doesn't everyone?).

I am looking for about $160K dwelling coverage, $1,000 deductible and one other thing my house is over 100 years old. This is MA.

I just need a little direction as some quotes were as low as $450 and others as high as $1,300.

Thanks for any help I get!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sue36

I'm in Maine, which is priced similarly to Mass, and I pay about $1200 for $800k replacement value, no flood insurance, not directly on the coast (3 miles inland), $1k deductible, but my house is only a few years old (there is a discount on there for that).

$160k dwelling coverage for anything in Mass. sounds really low unless that is a tiny house (smaller than 1000 sf). A house is often more to replace than it is worth at sale.

Bookmark   July 10, 2009 at 6:37PM
sonopoly

Thanks, Sue -- this is extremely helpful. I'm going to spend the weekend doing some more research and hopefully I'll get some more responses here. My house is very small -- just about 1,000 sf. I might up the replacement coverage though as one insurance company recommended this as well.

Thank you again so much and I hope you have a great weekend!

Bookmark   July 10, 2009 at 7:49PM
terriks

Make sure that you are comparing apples to apples with each company. That is the only way to make a real comparison.

Bookmark   July 11, 2009 at 10:58AM
More Discussions
Seller not allowing final walk-through before closing
Hi, I am struggling with a strange situation in my...
musicgold
Home sellers: Terrible experience with realtors?
Hi there, I'm getting ready to sell my house and need...
dollhausimaginations
Being Sued for Home Sale
We had our home built in 2003.It was our dream home.Half...
camsgt
Retiree - rent or buy home
We are newly retired and have a plan to sell our current...
waterlily_girl
Seller isn't signing the sale contract
Land has been on the market for 1.5 yrs and asking...
net42k
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™