LOOKING for: Broccoli Salad with raisins

hidesertfoxOctober 30, 2006

Hi, everyone! I've been reading these wonderful recipes and have made several of them - which were great! The WFD forum and this one have seriously re-inspired me.

I saw a recipe for a broccoli salad that included raisins and for the life of me, I can't find it. I did a search, and still could not find it. I'm pretty new to these forums and still trying to navigate my way through them. :)

If anyone knows what recipe I am referring to, would you please be so kind as to direct me in the right direction as to where to find it? I had something similar at a potluck luncheon recently, and thought it was sooooo good!

Thank you in advance! :-)

Cheryl

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lindac

I like this with a lot less bacon....about 1/2 as much.
But it's a good salad.
1 bunch fresh broccoli, washed, drained, broken into flowerettes
1/2 c. chopped onion
1 lb. bacon fried crisp, drained, and crumbled
1/2 c. hulled sunflower seeds
1/2 c. raisins

DRESSING:

3/4 c. mayonnaise
1/4 c. sugar
2 tbsp. vinegar

Combine salad ingredients together in large bowl; set aside. Combine dressing ingredients together thoroughly. Pour dressing over salad ingredients; stir to blend. Serve chilled.
Linda C

Bookmark   October 30, 2006 at 9:51PM
hidesertfox

That's the one! Thank you, lindac - very much appreciated.

Bookmark   October 30, 2006 at 10:28PM
mist_of_the_morning

I have used a variation of the broccoli salad with raisins recipe. Instead of the whole bunch of broccoli I used half a bunch of broccoli and half a head of cauliflower. Also substitute the sunflower seeds with pecan pieces. It is a very tasty salad.

Bookmark   November 2, 2006 at 8:43AM
hidesertfox

That one sounds good, too. A nice variety of color! The one I had at the luncheon had coarsely chopped cashews in it - my family loves pecans and cashews. I've been looking for a tried and true alternative to the leafy green salad for Thanksgiving dinner, just to be different for once in waaaay too long, lol! :-)

Bookmark   November 3, 2006 at 9:18PM
lindac

I make a version of a Waldorf salad...but use 1/2 pears and 1/2 apples and a raspberry vinaigrette...
I'm not at home so I don't have it here....
If you are interested, remind me next week.
Linda C

Bookmark   November 3, 2006 at 11:08PM
bean_counter_z4

I make a variation on LincaC's salad by adding chopped apples and chopped celery. I used Miracle Whip Lite and a little sugar instead of mayo and vinegar. I don't use much bacon and often substitute nuts for the seeds. Also, the golden raisins seem better in this salad--just a matter of preference.

Bookmark   November 9, 2006 at 10:01AM
gardenlad

Don't forget, too, that if you peel them the stems are just as usable as the florettes.

Given the price of broccoli nowadays, I hate to see those stems going to waste.

Bookmark   November 9, 2006 at 10:37AM
dgkritch

Mine is the same as Linda C's except no seeds.

My mom makes one very similiar and adds a can of mandarin oranges. Mmmm..
Deanna

Bookmark   November 9, 2006 at 3:07PM
hidesertfox

Thank you all for your responses! gardenlad, I actually prefer the stems to the florettes, although the florettes do add a pretty addition to this salad. :-) I will definitely cut back on the bacon, and I like the idea of the golden raisins.

This salad will be on our table for Thanksgiving dinner - I know it will be a hit. With the weather still being on the warm side, it will be nice to have a cool and crunchy side dish.

I am overwhelmed here with dishes that I am dying to try!

Bookmark   November 12, 2006 at 1:02AM
msafirstein

I love this Broccoli Salad, sans the seeds, and use Orange Flavored Dried Cranberries in place of raisins and I add a heavy cup of coarsly chopped Cashews too. I am not a fan of Canberry Sauce and so serve this at TG dinner and it makes a very pretty salad.

Bookmark   November 12, 2006 at 5:25PM
hidesertfox

Oh, my....so many wonderful sounding variations to choose from! msafirstein, the orange flavored dried cranberries sound like a wonderful substitute for raisins. Thank you all for your suggestions. I suppose I will have to make variations of this salad throughout the year - they all sound so delicious, and so pretty on the table. :)

Bookmark   November 16, 2006 at 1:00AM
teresa_nc7

I plan to make this salad for Thanksgiving also. Our family loves it so much, why only make it in the summer? I will use red onion, dark raisins, thawed frozen peas, and maybe pecans with orange muscat champagne vinegar in the dressing. Yum!

Bookmark   November 16, 2006 at 5:50PM
hidesertfox

I made this broccoli salad for Thanksgiving - it was so very good! Thank you all for responding to my first post here. :-)

I used less bacon, substituted half the broccoli with cauliflower, went ahead with the gold raisins, and chopped cashews. I also used sliced red onion, after soaking it in ice water for a few minutes to mellow the flavor.

I had dark raisins and would have used them if they hadn't turned into miniature hockey pucks in the back of the pantry. :-O

It was a great salad - a very nice alternative to the leafy greens, and everyone just loved it.

Bookmark   November 29, 2006 at 1:10AM
buyorsell888

Here is a similar one using grapes instead of raisins. Cashews could be used instead of almonds.

Broccoli Salad
1 bunch Broccoli cut into small pieces
1 cup Green Onions thinly sliced
1 cup Celery very small pieces
1 cup Red Seedless Grapes halved
1 cup Green Seedless Grapes halved
1 cup toasted slivered Almonds
1/2 lb cooked crumbled Bacon

Mix together with this dressing:
1 cup Mayonaise
1/3 cup Sugar
1 T vinegar

Bookmark   November 29, 2006 at 2:14PM
jessyf

Bump for Memorial Day menus

Bookmark   May 26, 2007 at 7:35AM
angier_2007

When I make this salad I like to par-boil the broccoli. I can eat more of it that way. I have used the Broccoli Slaw to make it too.

Bookmark   June 7, 2007 at 9:51PM
More Discussions
LOOKING for: mamma mia's (west allis wi) homemade garlic bread
Hello All, and Happy New Year!!! My wife and I grew...
azstoneconsulting
RECIPE: simple cabbage preparation
I'm looking for one or more simple ways to prepare...
melissa_thefarm
recipe: iso very simple yellow squash gratin
I am looking for a recipe that I can use for a squash...
jennieboyer
RECIPE: Looking for a few ideas
My husband and I are invited to a neighborhood party...
dspen
RECIPE: Oven Canned Tomatoes
Since 1974 I've used this recipe to process/can my...
CrazyHorse2
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™