disappearing hourglass

buteau3rdJuly 18, 2014

Wondering if anyone has tried this neat "dis" hourglass. It looks like fun and easy, but that is not always true with all the cutting and rearranging. I found it on missouri quilting co.videos, and she is easier to listen to than EB.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mary_c_gw

Do you have a link?

Bookmark   July 18, 2014 at 8:53PM
magothyrivergirl

Hi there Ladies!!! Nice to 'see' you both! :~)

Below is a link to a completed quilt and the tutorial on Missouri Quilts. I have squares from 1/2 a layer cake and I am thinking of using them using this method. It is pretty. I think the success of all these slice and rearrange blocks is very accurate cutting.

Here is a link that might be useful: Alamosaquilter: Disapperaing Hour Glass

Bookmark   July 18, 2014 at 9:56PM
geezerfolks_SharonG_FL

Yes! I've been wanting to make one ever since I saw the video a couple of weeks ago, but was waiting to see a quilt and to hear if anyone had played around with sizes for the 4 HST. Will now probably wait until I get back home.

SharonG/FL-IN-IL

Bookmark   July 18, 2014 at 11:56PM
ritaweeda

I just happened to check that site out day before yesterday for something new and watched that, thinking "maybe I'll try that". But I have a project going right now and can't do anything until I finish it. (That's just me.)

Bookmark   July 19, 2014 at 6:22AM
littlehelen_gw

Marsha, I did a search on MSQ but without success, so Thanks a heap for posting.
It's a nice looking block, and I can see making a few in the future, but for me, I couldn't do a whole quilt in these. I'd have blocks turned every which way! Lol
I have used the method of sewing all four sides and then cutting for the pinwheel block. I get the bias edge issue, but I found spraying with a lite coating of starch worked. I imagine that would be needed for this block as well.
Good luck Buteau3rd and nice to hear from you!
V.

Bookmark   July 19, 2014 at 6:53AM
grammyp

Hi Marge, how have you been? It is on my list, too. Here is a link to Missouri Star's video. They just sew around the outside of a 10 in square to make the HSTs.

beverly

Here is a link that might be useful: Missouri Star Disappearing Hourglass

Bookmark   July 19, 2014 at 1:58PM
buteau3rd

I really love the idea of what looks like the squares are arranged in rows as usual,not from corner to corner, because the sashing is part of the square, ( Lots of bias seams!)
Thanks to all.....It's nice to be back. Maybe I'll try a pillow first to see if it is too bothersom for a queen size.
I

Bookmark   July 20, 2014 at 9:47PM
buteau3rd

The missouri quilting link you all sent isn't the same as the one my granddaughter sent so I will ask her tomorrow to resend the picture. It looks like it is on point, but ...........sorry! I will send the picture of the one she wants.

Bookmark   July 20, 2014 at 10:31PM
buteau3rd

Wrong square! She actually wants the lattice, which is on pointe with lots of bias piecing.
I think this other choice is easier.....and I really do like it. I think I will see if missouri quilts has a tutorial for it.
Thank you all for responding. I will try the other anyway...looks interesting!

Bookmark   July 21, 2014 at 2:03PM
More Discussions
National Quilting Day March 21, 2015
The third Saturday of March is National Quilting Day...
geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
Freddie Fox
I've been working on various works in progress, sandwiching...
littlehelen_gw
Are you quilting this weekend? March 6-8
I hope to find time to work on some small wall hangings...
lindaoh_gw
My 2015 Granny Square Quilt Blocks
Here are some of the different blocks I have been hand-piecing...
quiltingfox
Wahoo and Thank You
Thank you so much to all that submitted blocks from...
ibquiltn4fun
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™