ND Flood Update

dlhealdquilterJuly 8, 2011

Minot is beginning to recover, but we are a long way from pre-flood conditions. The river is going down slowly, but this was expected.

News conference tonight was giving some numbers. 4,100 homes have been affected by the water. 132 are slightly damaged with 0.5 to 2 feet of water; 802 are moderately damaged with 2 to 6 feet of water; 2,376 are extremely damaged with 6 to 10 feet of water; and 805 are a complete loss with 10 feet of water or more! WOW!

Tide Loads of Hope arrived today, numerous companies such as ServicePro have arrived in town, FEMA housing could be arriving soon, and major roads that have been flooded are opening.

We still have to boil our water and conserve water. Think this could continue for a bit yet.

Some folks have been allowed back to their homes between 8 am and 8 pm and have begun removing household goods that were left behind, sheet rock, insulation, etc. The street curbs are piled high with debris.

As for our quilting community; our guild meeting has been cancelled for July, the quilt display at the state fair has been cancelled, and too many of our guild members have losses. We are a strong community, however, and will come back bigger and better!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
toolgranny

Is there anything us quilters can do to help?

Bookmark   July 8, 2011 at 7:15PM
polardreams

Thanks for the update. I second toolgranny's question, what can we do to help?

Bookmark   July 8, 2011 at 9:40PM
grammyp

Thanks for the update. I am so very sorry for everyone's loss. We are more than willing to help with anything we can. Please don't hesitate to ask.

beverly

Bookmark   July 8, 2011 at 9:49PM
murphy_zone7

Thank you for the update. the news people, nationally and locally, seem to have forgotten about this tragedy in our nation and I haven't seen any updates.
Again, what can we do to help?
Murphy

Bookmark   July 9, 2011 at 4:42AM
geezerfolks_SharonG_FL

I, too, thank you for the update.

I was thinking about you last night and figured it's going to be a long time until the massive clean-up is over. I would think the first order of business is to get the houses cleaned up for occupancy. However, is there something we can do now to help other quilters to while away the down time? Maybe a kit for an easy (so it isn't stressful) quilt block that can be done by hand? We just want to do what we can to help.....

SharonG/FL

Bookmark   July 9, 2011 at 9:57AM
More Discussions
how large is your design wall?
I was just wondering how large everyones design wall...
redpenny
Oh my!
Switching over to Houzz very challenging! I sure hope...
nannykins
Trying to locate quilt pattern
I know it's been awhile since posting and I'm not sure...
Vanislegirl88
My Mom's cross-stitch bookmark
I took a brief break from quilting the last 2 weeks...
quiltingfox
MARCH 2015 Lotto Block
MARCH Friendship Star 12-1/2" - Black and white...
beth7happy
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™