RECIPE: Bread Question

kim47October 5, 2007

Yesterday was the second time I've made French bread. The crust came out very smooth unlike the first time were it was rough and crispy, the way it should, I would think. Do you know what I did wrong. It tasted good just wasn't pretty. Thank you.

Kim

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ginger_st_thomas

Here's a good explanation from Baking911:

BAKING: A very hot oven, such as 500 or 450 degrees F, is typically used for the first 12 - 15 minutes or so, and then the temperature is lowered to 350 to 400 degrees F, for example. The initial high temperature helps set the crust, then allowing the middle to bake and stay soft. To bake: thirty minutes before baking, place a baking stone in the oven to preheat, place an empty water pan directly under the stone and then, preheat the oven. Gently slide the loaves onto the preheated stone, or place the baguette mold in the oven. To get a crispy crust: Pour 1 cup of very hot water into the water pan and quickly close the oven door. After 1 minute, mist the loaves and oven walls 6 to 8 times and close the door. After 2 more minutes, spray the loaves and the oven walls again.

Bookmark   October 5, 2007 at 3:00PM
kim47

Ginger, I put this question on this forum by mistake, I'm glad I did. Thank you for the great info. I'll try it this way next time.
Kim

Bookmark   October 5, 2007 at 4:41PM
ginger_st_thomas

I don't use the water method but have found that starting the baking at a higher heat works for me.

Bookmark   October 5, 2007 at 8:22PM
ann_t

Kim, I bake a lot of bread and all of it on a preheated stone in a 500�F oven. I don't reduce the temperature. I both mist the bread and toss ice cubes right on the oven floor. I like a nice crust.

French Bread Pictorial

There is some good information on this site The Fresh Loaf.

Bookmark   October 6, 2007 at 12:01AM
kim47

Ann,
Thank you for all the info, it will be very helpful seeing what it should actually look like. Like I said the first attempt was good and crispy, maybe I needed more ice for steam. I'll keep trying, practice makes perfect. I'll use my stone next time also. Thanks again I appreciate your time.
Kim

Bookmark   October 7, 2007 at 10:00AM
More Discussions
RECIPE: looking for: potato boats recipe
What are the healthy ingredients you can incorporate...
elleau
LOOKING for: Christmas Cookies
Is it time to start posting Christmas Cookies yet???...
roselin32
RECIPE: simple cabbage preparation
I'm looking for one or more simple ways to prepare...
melissa_thefarm
LOOKING for: how to use peaches
somebody just gave 60 huge beautiful peaches BUT I...
ginnier
RECIPE: Nut filled crescent rolls
Hi all, when I was a young girl, my mom would get together...
dspen
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™