RECIPE: Bourbon Steak

kathleencaOctober 28, 2009

I just posted this on the Kitchen Table & thought it ought to be here also. An older version of a stir-fry & very flavorful.

Bourbon Steak

4-6 servings

1-1 1/2 lb rib-eye or sirloin steak

2 Tbsp plus 1 tsp butter

2 tsp olive oil

1 shallot, minced

1 clove garlic, minced

1 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard

1/4 c. strong beef broth

dash hot pepper sauce

3 Tbsp bourbon

salt, pepper

1 Tbsp chopped chives or green onion

Cut meat into thin slices. Pound meat between sheets of wax paper until about 1/8-inch thick. Pat dry.

Heat 1 Tbsp butter with oil in large heavy skillet until smoking hot. Quickly saute meat, about 20 seconds per side, adding remaining butter as needed. Transfer to plate as slices are browned.

Reduce heat under skillet to low. Add 1 tsp. butter & saute shallot one minute. Add garlic & cook until golden.

Whisk in mustard, beef broth, hot pepper sauce & bourbon. Cook over medium heat until slightly thickened.

Return meat to skillet & toss briefly to heat through.

Season to taste with salt & pepper. Sprinkle with chives.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
donnalovesblue

This sounds wonderful! Do you serve it over rice or egg noodles? I'll try this soon instead of throwing a steak on the grill.

Donna

Bookmark   October 28, 2009 at 5:15PM
kathleenca

Hi Donna,

I serve just as a small 'pile' of meat because there isn't any sauce to contribute to a starch. I usually have grilled or oven-fried herbed potatoes with it. Hope you like it.

Bookmark   October 28, 2009 at 5:39PM
donnalovesblue

Hubby has said this is a "must do" for the weekend. Salad, oven roasted potatoes and voila!!! Thanks for posting this!

Donna

Bookmark   October 28, 2009 at 7:27PM
caliloo

Great sounding recipe! I jsut had Bourbon Chicken for the first time at a local restaurant. I think it may have been the same sauce done with thinly sliced chicken breast. At least it reads like it might be - I am certainly going to give it a try!

Thanks for posting

Alexa

Bookmark   November 16, 2009 at 6:26PM
ruthanna_gw

That sounds wonderful. One of my butchers is having chip steak on sale this weekend. It's very thin sliced rib roast, used for Philly cheese steaks. That would save me the slicing and pounding so that's on the menu for sure this weekend. Thanks for posting it.

Bookmark   November 17, 2009 at 2:07PM
ruthanna_gw

I made Bourbon Steak tonight and DH and I both loved it. I used the chip steak so the meat didn't look pretty (but it doesn't on a cheese steak sandwich either LOL). Next time I'll use the whole steak and do my own slicing.

I liked that the sauce wasn't too thick. The only change I made was to add a little bit of Worcestershire sauce while it was cooking down. Side dishes were sauteed parslied red skinned potatoes and corn and green lima bean succotash.

Thank you for a wonderful recipe, Kathleen.

Bookmark   November 20, 2009 at 7:28PM
kathleenca

Thanks for your interest, all; I didn't realize this recipe would be so liked. It's an easy & good beef recipe. I have made it for as many as 8 people, but that means spending half your afternoon slicing meat.

Ruthanna, I'm making it tonight (my DH is just back from 3 weeks in Australia & is hungering for beef) & I'm going to add Worchestershire as you did.

Bookmark   November 21, 2009 at 4:45PM
More Discussions
RECIPE: Sauce for Meat
Years ago my Grandmother use to do a lot of canning....
darrah
LOOKING for: Dip and spread mixes sold at craft shows
Does anyone know where I can find recipes for the dip...
NanaCherie
LOOKING for: mamma mia's (west allis wi) homemade garlic bread
Hello All, and Happy New Year!!! My wife and I grew...
azstoneconsulting
LOOKING for: Toddle House strawberry cream pie
If anyone remembers the Toddle House from way back,...
martha.
RECIPE: looking for: potato boats recipe
What are the healthy ingredients you can incorporate...
elleau
Sponsored Products
Typography Nesting Wall Box Set
$39.99 | zulily
Card Catalog Desk Organizer
$17.99 | Dot & Bo
Cookhouse wall clock - black 13.75"
Origin Crafts
Nespresso Vertuo Espresso Maker with Aeroccino
$349.00 | FRONTGATE
"Hopsy" Spring Gund Bunny - MULTI COLORS
$25.00 | Horchow