A Duh moment!

jasdipMay 7, 2013

When we eat broccoli, we don't always eat the stems. I chop them up and feed them to "the lads" (my voracious indoor composters).

We love broccoli and cheese soup and it just dawned and me that I should freeze the stalks and make soup when I have enough accumulated. I'll also put in the florets too of course.

Is there any reason that this wouldn't work?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Beth_in_MA

No reason at all that it wouldn't work. I use the stalks all the time when I make soup (unless they seem particularly "woody").

Bookmark   May 7, 2013 at 5:53PM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

The stems are chockful of good nutrients and flavor. As tough as they seem raw, the stems soften up when cooked.

Bookmark   May 7, 2013 at 5:54PM
nanny98

I peel the outside of those stems and use them in stir fry's and even eat them raw. That outside coat is the tough part.

Bookmark   May 7, 2013 at 6:01PM
ravencajun Zone 8b TX

Boil them until tender then puree in the food processor use it in soups and sauces. You can easily freeze it that way too.

Bookmark   May 7, 2013 at 6:17PM
YogaLady1948

When my son was at home, I peeled the stalks and he gobbled them up~~~raw. I just cut off a small part at the bottom then steam it all. No waste here;)

Bookmark   May 7, 2013 at 6:49PM
hounds_x_two

I do what nanny98 does. Peel the stem.
It is wonderful as a raw veggie snack or in salads or cooked!

Bookmark   May 7, 2013 at 6:49PM
peoniesandposies

Or, you could just keep feeding them to your 4 footed friends. I always think a little added fresh vegetables to pets' diets is good for them.

I'm sure they appreciate it :)

Bookmark   May 7, 2013 at 10:22PM
lindyluwho

Use a vegetable peeler or paring knife to peel the tough outer layer off the stems. Then just eat them along with the florets. They are delish. I like a little salt, butter and lemon or line juice on my broccoli. I steam it.

Bookmark   May 7, 2013 at 11:08PM
susanjf_gw

my bil used to do that to asparagas, as well...but they lived in a growing area and my sister used all the tender slender ones..

.what annoys me is some stores don't store it properly..won't buy it, either...(upright in an ice bath)

Bookmark   May 7, 2013 at 11:33PM
cherryfizz

Peel them first before you freeze them, because the skin would still be tough in your soup unless you were pureeing it,

When I eat broccoli I use all the stem except for the woody last inch bit on the bottom which I cut off. I just peel it. I love it in my broccoli salad or just to eat raw as I am preparing the rest of the broccoli.

Bookmark   May 8, 2013 at 1:15AM
dances_in_garden

Funny, since the canary, and then the chickens, loved the florets so much I used to give them those and I would eat the stems LOL. Although, I do like them (peeled, of course). Raw or cooked.

Since seeing that chickens will eat just about anything (except for a few of my cooking adventures...did you know that a chicken could GAG?) and the canary has passed away, I eat the entire thing myself.

Dances.

Bookmark   May 8, 2013 at 7:50AM
jannie

I saw on a TV cooking show, you can puree cauliflower, add a little milk and use it as a sauce. No reason you can't use broccoli the same way.

Bookmark   May 8, 2013 at 8:15AM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Dances, your comment about the birds reminded me of the cockatiel and budgie I used to have. They sure did love their breakfast salads! I'd chop up broccoli, a bit of hard boiled egg, jalopeno pepper, and other goodies for them....oh, my!

Bookmark   May 8, 2013 at 8:35AM
jasdip

Thanks guys!
We do eat the stalks, but not every time. Sometimes by the time I take the knobs and the tough stalk off, there isn't much of the edible portion left! lol

"the lads" were referencing my worms, and they love broccoli.

At least now I know I can freeze the stalks without peeling and just cook them, and make soup. The soup does get pureed, then cheese added.

Bookmark   May 8, 2013 at 9:10AM
cynic

I'd think you could also add it to the kettle when you make stock. Or use it as the base when you slow cook something like a pot roast.

It's like cabbage core. Many people toss it, but many eat it as a snack. Kind of bothers me seeing the TV "chefs" that toss so much of this kind of stuff and not even mention alternate uses. People actually give credibility to these people.

Bookmark   May 8, 2013 at 11:37PM
joyfulguy

Darn few of them went through the Dirty Thirties.

o j

Bookmark   May 9, 2013 at 3:37PM
More Discussions
Ziplocs with sliders
Whoever invented them, I'm grateful. I use a lot of...
lucillle
Amazing Aunt Audrey
Let's start a Chain Reaction Game! Get some activity going here.
We played this one before so it should be familiar...
ravencajun Zone 8b TX
How do I make an avatar?
kathyg_in_mi
What is your favorite kcups for Keurig
Bought a Keurig the beginning of this month. LOVE LOVE...
nodakgal
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™