LOTTO - July 2012

K8OrlandoJuly 1, 2012

Thank you for joining in the lotto!

You get to be even more creative than normal this month! Gather your blue and yellow scraps and prints, then put them together in any star pattern you would like to use. Use the same star pattern for all three or mix it up. It's up to you; have fun with it!

This lotto is open to all and new quilters are encouraged to participate. You will learn much and have fun doing it. Participate in as many or as few lottos as you want, but even if you don't like the current month's block think about doing at least one. The winner will appreciate your efforts!

Here's the drill:

> each month there will be a designated block or theme

> you can send 1, 2 or 3 blocks

> all blocks must measure 12.5inches x 12.5inches with no more than 1/4" variation, please

> with your blocks include name, mailing address, forum name and $1 to cover postage for the winning blocks (Any money left over at the end of the year will go towards prizes!)

> if possible, either attach your name to the back of each block or write your name in the seam allowance with a fabric pen so the winner knows who made the block (this is not a requirement, just a request)

> all blocks received by the last day of the month will be included in the lotto drawing

> you will have 1, 2 or 3 chances to win, depending on how many blocks you've sent in

> we have a clever way of choosing the winner, with a couple different quilters involved, to keep it fair

July2012

For July, you can use any star block, as simple or as complicated as you like. The theme is blue and yellow, but some white mixed in is OK as long as the overall impression is "Blue and Yellow". No juvenile or novelty prints. Please use all cotton fabric, with nicely pressed 1/4 inch seams.

I've attached pictures of the blocks I made for this one.

Don't hesitate to ask questions or make suggestions. This is YOUR lotto!

Kate

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nannykins

I got carried away making stars so have three for the draw and one bonus block.
Theresa

Bookmark   July 1, 2012 at 7:12PM
beth7happy

now...the winner of THIS month will have one super gorgeous quilt!!!! wow!

Bookmark   July 1, 2012 at 7:14PM
K8Orlando

Beth - I agree. Usually I don't enter my own name in the drawings but I think I won't be able to resist this month. I've been looking forward to this one since January!

I already have blocks from a couple people for July, sent earlier with their other blocks. Gorgeous!!!

Kate

Bookmark   July 1, 2012 at 7:33PM
littlehelen_gw

Here's my two, the pattern is called StarFlower, (looks like the one needs a better pressing)...I may need to make another.
V.

Bookmark   July 1, 2012 at 8:17PM
mary_c_gw

Kate - please leave your name in the drawing! Your method is so completely fair with 2 others involved in the choice, that I can't imagine anyone having an issue with you winning a lotto.

No one questioned when I won the May lotto, even though I chose the winning number.

I didn't know the names on the list, and certainly didn't know the random numbers assigned to that list.

You participate, you HOST (which is a lot of work), and you should be able to compete with everyone else.

Bookmark   July 1, 2012 at 8:18PM
magothyrivergirl

Absolutely Kate should include her name in the drawings if she wants to win! Hosting the Lotto and keeping it running is very much appreciated, and she should play --- the method of drawing the winner is so fair and unbiased---and your chances are really increased by submitting more blocks.
So---include your name Kate - that's an order!!!!! Please. :~)

Bookmark   July 2, 2012 at 9:13AM
K8Orlando

Thank you! I would have felt really guilty if I had participated and won in the first 6 months but I guess it's been long enough.

What pretty blocks have already been posted! Beth, your blocks remind me of your garden - so fresh and cheerful. Val, I LOVE the starflower pattern; and it gives almost endless color combinations. We might have to add this one to next year's lotto. Where did you find the pattern? Is it the Ellison Lane one? Here's a picture from their website:

Bookmark   July 2, 2012 at 10:02AM
K8Orlando

I just realized I probably shouldn't have posted that multicolor StarFlower picture! I don't mean to confuse anyone about this block. It is NOT a multicolor month!

Just to be sure we've all got it, here are the specs for July:
blue and yellow fabrics, with some white in the prints being OK if possible, avoid extremes of color like dark navy and dark gold - we want these blocks to "play well with others" star pattern any star block will do but it must look like a star (in quilting, that gives you LOTS of options)

Bookmark   July 2, 2012 at 11:23AM
bozogardener

How funny! This is the same as I requested for my birthday block in-what? 2006? I'll post the other one too, which was a baby quilt.

Bookmark   July 2, 2012 at 3:53PM
bozogardener

Here's the baby quilt from that same birthday block swap.

Bookmark   July 2, 2012 at 3:55PM
K8Orlando

Thanks for posting those pictures! It shows how pretty a blue/yellow star quilt can be. I really like the sashing you used in the baby quilt!

Bookmark   July 2, 2012 at 4:05PM
littlehelen_gw

Kate, I agree with everyone else...you definitely need to put your name in the drawing. You are the hostess...doing the mostess (sorry, couldn't resist) I've helped one time in the drawing and there's no way anyone could think you planted your name. Please participate!!
The starflower pattern came from the Quilter's Cache. I wanted to try something new for me...but then they all seem new to me!
Love yellow and blue together...it's a great combo as evidence by the lovely quilts posted by bozogardener!

Bookmark   July 3, 2012 at 8:59PM
littlehelen_gw

correction on my pics...On the left is Star puzzle, on the right is Star flower,both from Quilters Cache.
V.

Bookmark   July 3, 2012 at 9:45PM
quiltnhen

Love the choices and all in my favorite colors! Hope I can get my space up and running fast!

Bookmark   July 3, 2012 at 10:14PM
tuppermom

I hope to get a block or two made for this month's lotto.

Bozogardener, I love your quilts....I think I made a block for you!

Mary

Bookmark   July 3, 2012 at 11:39PM
bozogardener

I think you did, Mary!

Bookmark   July 4, 2012 at 10:30AM
jerrysgirl

When do the blocks have to be mailed to participate in the July block swap?

Bookmark   July 5, 2012 at 11:50PM
K8Orlando

> all blocks received by the last day of the month will be included in the lotto drawing

Send me an email and I'll send you my address. Always glad to have new participants!

Kate

Bookmark   July 6, 2012 at 6:22AM
bev2009

I love blue and yellow together. The quilts are beautiful and this months blocks are gonna rock!

Bookmark   July 6, 2012 at 7:37AM
mary_c_gw

Sign me up for 3 Kate! They (and the August blocks) will go in the mail Friday.

Mary

Bookmark   July 11, 2012 at 3:18PM
tinyteena

I've finished 1 block for July and 1 for August. Will be posting them tomorrow - 16th July. I have a problem with my computer & can't load up photos at the moment.

Kristene

Bookmark   July 15, 2012 at 3:33AM
tinyteena

Here is my block for July

Kristene

Bookmark   July 17, 2012 at 3:12AM
lola99

Here are my blocks. I mailed them a few days ago.

Lola

Bookmark   July 20, 2012 at 2:09PM
K8Orlando

They are all beautiful! This is going to be another great quilt!

There's still time for those of you who haven't joined in this month.

Kate

Bookmark   July 21, 2012 at 5:38PM
vicky4x4

My birthday block quilt from ???? Do any of you remember making these blocks?
I wished I had time to make these this month :-( I'm missing out on all the fun.
Vicky

Bookmark   July 23, 2012 at 7:41AM
calliope

I've made one yellow/blue quilt already, but my daughter chose it as a birthday gift, and to be honest, I wouldn't mind having another, so I just shot off three blocks. They should reach you by month's end since I drove to the post office and got them in before the mail went out this afternoon. It would make a lovely quilt.

Bookmark   July 26, 2012 at 5:45PM
polardreams

I wish I had time to participate but this month just keeps getting more and more hectic. Whoever wins this lotto is one lucky quilter! Love the color combo.
Sue

Bookmark   July 26, 2012 at 6:19PM
K8Orlando

Everyone gets credit for blocks mailed, even if I don't receive them by the 1st. There's still time and if you mail them in the last couple days of the month, just let me know.

Once again, I thank you ALL for your participation and interest. I'm enjoying the lotto so much and love to see what you all create.

The next couple months will be fall colors and scrappy, so be saving all your bits of fabric! I think you'll really like both patterns.

Kate

Bookmark   July 27, 2012 at 9:06AM
calliope

Well, that is an understatement. I already did the Dutchman's Puzzle and Roberta's Jewel blocks and both were so fun and so neat, the blocks ended up in quilts. Now, I have to do them over for the lotto. The up side is I have the techniques down pat by now. LOL

Bookmark   July 27, 2012 at 9:22AM
K8Orlando

Calliope! That HAS to be the best advertisement for the lotto EVER: I liked them so much I kept them!

Bookmark   July 27, 2012 at 10:11AM
beth7happy

Whew...just in the nick of time! My sister was here for a few days, so we went to work making the lotto blocks! It's more fun to have a sewing buddy, I think!! I'll mail tomorrow, Kate. 3 blocks.

Bookmark   July 29, 2012 at 3:34PM
polardreams

Kate,
I changed my mind and found time to get 3 blocks finished! I will mail them in the morning - hopefully they will arrive quickly. WOOHOO. I just love yellow and blue together.

Sue

Bookmark   July 30, 2012 at 12:36AM
beth7happy

Wow, Sue..I LOVE those! Kate...just back from the post office and mailed three. They said you should have them by tomorrow.

Bookmark   July 30, 2012 at 12:00PM
beth7happy

Wow, Sue..I LOVE those! Kate...just back from the post office and mailed three. They said you should have them by tomorrow.

Bookmark   July 30, 2012 at 12:01PM
K8Orlando

I received a couple more squishies today! When I get home from work tomorrow and I'll check the mailbox then get ready for the drawing. If anyone else is on-line tomorrow evening around 7pm eastern time, maybe we can do it then, before the evening Olympic coverage starts!

Kate

Bookmark   August 2, 2012 at 12:01AM
K8Orlando

Anyone on line to help with the drawing?

Our lovely blue and yellow blocks are ready to find their new home. We have 26 blocks! With a little sashing, that will make a great quilt.

Here are the participants:
3 Polardream
3 Beth7happy
3 K8Orlando
4 Nannykins (thanks for the extra one, Theresa!)
2 SunnyCentralFlorida
2 LittleHelen
3 Calliope
2 Lola99
3 Mary_C
1 TinyTeena

Kate

Bookmark   August 2, 2012 at 6:53PM
K8Orlando

Going to eat dinner... I'll be back a little later!

Bookmark   August 2, 2012 at 7:23PM
calliope

I'm back online now, Kate. I had flapjacks and sausage, per hubby's request. You? ;-)

Bookmark   August 2, 2012 at 7:44PM
mary_c_gw

I'm here too, if you need two.

Stroganoff over basil noodles with a salad.

Bookmark   August 2, 2012 at 7:56PM
K8Orlando

I had a spicy Thai soup! Yum!

OK, emailing the list to Calliope.

Bookmark   August 2, 2012 at 8:17PM
calliope

If I did it right, the list is back to you. I think I got outcooked by both of you. However, I did cook Tubby the dog his own little pancake.

Bookmark   August 2, 2012 at 8:26PM
K8Orlando

Wow, that was fast! I've got the list back, so if Mary_C will pick a number from 1 to 19 (inclusive) we'll have a winner!

Bookmark   August 2, 2012 at 8:27PM
mary_c_gw

I hope you kept your name in the drawing, Kate!

Via the random number generator - it's lucky number 7!!

Congratulations to whomever!

Bookmark   August 2, 2012 at 8:30PM
K8Orlando

sunnycentralflorida!

Congrats, Gwen!!!

Bookmark   August 2, 2012 at 8:33PM
calliope

Woot..........woot.........congrats on a beautiful haul!

Bookmark   August 2, 2012 at 8:36PM
mary_c_gw

Woo..woot, indeed!! Congrats Gwen!

Such fun to win a lotto!

Bookmark   August 2, 2012 at 8:39PM
beth7happy

oooo nice win, Gwen!! Congrats!!

Bookmark   August 2, 2012 at 8:52PM
geezerfolks_SharonG_FL

Go Gwen (my retreat game buddy)!!!!! Great looking blocks.....pics of all of them when you get them please.

SharonG/FL-IN

Bookmark   August 2, 2012 at 8:58PM
littlehelen_gw

sunny central florida..congrats...the colors seem perfect for florida...bright sun yellow and blue skies
have fun!
V.

Bookmark   August 2, 2012 at 9:01PM
magothyrivergirl

This is going to be perfect for a Florida quilt - Congrats Gwen!

Bookmark   August 2, 2012 at 9:46PM
sunnycentralfl

THX so much! My how pretty...all of the blocks posted are beautiful! Y'all out did yourselves I'll say! What yummy colors! Also, THX for all the "Congrats".

Kate, thanks for the email...I'm glad I checked it "one more time" before going to bed.

Gwen

Bookmark   August 2, 2012 at 9:55PM
quiltnhen

Congrats to the lucky winner. Beautiful blocks in great colors!

Bookmark   August 2, 2012 at 10:34PM
nannykins

Blue and yellow is a favourite combo. Your blocks will make a beauty of a quilt. Congratulations!
Theresa

Bookmark   August 3, 2012 at 7:41AM
sunnycentralfl

Met Kate tonight at our Guild meeting...I was a little anxious!

Dear Friends, wow, the blocks are spectacular in person! I hope I can do them justice.

Thanks for all your talented hard work...Gwen

Bookmark   August 6, 2012 at 8:59PM
More Discussions
Jamestown Landing ready to quilt.
I got the top done and loaded onto the frame. I am...
jackier123
Kandu Coat?
I'm contemplating starting one, but the directions...
michigoose
10th Annual Quilt Retreat 2015
Hi Folks! We are beginning the process of planning...
jennifer_in_va
Sewing Cabinet opening size
I have a new Babylock Crescendo sewing machine (equivalent...
kimwebs
QOTD - Re-posting others' pictures
Is there a rule, or convention, or prohibition against...
loisflan
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™