Prairie Point Pillow Case Method

K8OrlandoJuly 2, 2011

Has anyone used this method to do prairie point pillowcases? I plan to give it a try but would love to know if it really works!

Kate

Here is a link that might be useful: Prairie Point Pillow Case Tutorial

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nanajayne

Have never done that but it would be a neet way to make a bunch for a quilt boarder as well. TFS. Jayne

Bookmark   July 2, 2011 at 9:44PM
mary_c_gw

The method will work fine, and it will look wonderful.

Personally, I wouldn't want all those loose pointy bits on a pillowcase. They would drive me nuts during the night and I mash my pillow around quite a bit while sleeping. It is just my opinion, of course.

Bookmark   July 2, 2011 at 10:07PM
lynndianne

Love prarie points but wouldn't use on a pillow. As you get older the wrinkles in a pillow will show up on your face. With prarie points, I would have triangles on my face (ha ha). It's hard to get creases out of your face.

Lynn

Bookmark   July 3, 2011 at 9:28AM
K8Orlando

LOL - thank you for your wrinkle concerns but I have several pillows on my bed (I like to read in bed) and the pp embellishment will only go on a couple cases, not on the pillowcases we'll actually sleep on. I'll post pictures when I'm done and it will make sense!

Bookmark   July 3, 2011 at 9:44AM
polardreams

Kate, I have made praire points using that method and it works really well. Have you seen this tutorial on sausage roll pillowcases? I think she does a really good job showing how to make them so you end up with NO unfinished seems. Lynn, my face ends up with all the wrinkles too - would also have triangles!
Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Sausage roll pillowcase

Bookmark   July 3, 2011 at 3:21PM
K8Orlando

That is a good demo, Sue. I did mine with all finished seams too. I ended up with 2 standard size cases and two king cases today. I used the same fabric for the body of the cases and white for the end pieces. The prairie points are on the kings. I have two more kings to make and think I'll do those in white with the end pieces done in a piano key pattern of the 1930s leftover pieces.

Kate

Bookmark   July 3, 2011 at 5:28PM
K8Orlando

Picture time!

4 pillowcases:

The casing on the standard size pillowcases is much wider than the one on the prairie pointed kings. That's because it was all the ducks with umbrellas fabric I had, but I like the effect. Because it's so nice and wide, I may use the bunny applique there. The quilt is already so 1950's extreme that I might as well take the pillowcases just as far! Really, I love it all, but the whole thing is almost ridiculous; in a very sweet way, of course!

Bookmark   July 3, 2011 at 6:35PM
toolgranny

those are darling, Kate. It's amazing what you can get done when down with a healing knee. You inspire us!

Bookmark   July 3, 2011 at 8:14PM
K8Orlando

This was my Recovery Quilt! I will always look at it and remember this time in my life. Don't be impressed though... I spent the first 4 weeks after surgery just staring at the TV. It wasn't until the 5th week that I started sewing at all.

Bookmark   July 3, 2011 at 8:39PM
More Discussions
2015 March Block Lotto
Welcome to the March Block Lotto! The lotto is open...
toolgranny
Latest for my neighbor
Made this for my good neighbor who keeps our driveway...
nanajayne
Q for you re blue jean quilts
A group of ladies and myself will be making quilts...
bev2009
I'm new here and sharing my quilts
Hello, I'm new to your forum, but not new to sewing....
craftylady
Sewing Cabinet opening size
I have a new Babylock Crescendo sewing machine (equivalent...
kimwebs
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™