RECIPE: Runny Marmalade?

soxfan777September 2, 2010

Hi,

I made marmalade for the first time, and I made TWO batches... The first batch is happily solid in the jars... It might even be TOO solid. I put a little of that batch (the stuff that wouldn't fit in a jar) in the fridge, though, and it's DELICIOUS and not too solid but not runny either... just the way I like it.

MY QUESTION (I was getting to it!)... The SECOND batch I made is "sloshy" in the jars... I sealed and boiled them last night, but when I TIP the jars (not sure if I'm even supposed to do that but whatever) the jelly moves from side to side. Will it solidify more as it "sets"? If it does, I think it will be fine. Also, if it's this "soft", is it more likely to spoil? If it is, I'll just make it into the "refrigerator jam" and stick it in there now. (I don't want to reprocess the jars... I'd rather just buy bagels for work and eat it sooner if you don't think it's shelf stable...)

Any help you could offer is great! I'm totally new at this... Thanks in advance. :)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
oilpainter

Once it is cool it will be as solid as it gets. Tipping it will not harm it and it will keep as long as it is well sealed. Processing them or reprocessing them will not make it set any better.

The failure to set is often because the sugar wasn't measured right, or you had too much fruit for the sugar. In other words the ratio of sugar to fruit was not right, to make it set completely. When making jams and jellies measurements must be exact.

Bookmark   September 3, 2010 at 3:36AM
JoAnn_Fla

You just need to cook it a little longer. Pour it back into the pan & recook until its thicker.

Bookmark   September 5, 2010 at 2:21AM
lisbet

Could it be used for a desert topping?? Such as ice cream, puddings, or even cakes?

Bookmark   September 7, 2010 at 2:13PM
lindac

And jams will get a firmer set upon sitting...wait 2 or 3 days before deciding that it's not set.

Bookmark   September 10, 2010 at 1:26AM
angelaid

I'm using a Lemon Drop Pepper Jelly that didn't set as a marinade for grilled meats. Really good.

Bookmark   September 10, 2010 at 1:07PM
More Discussions
RECIPE: anise liquid ..?
In making biscochitos, I find the anise seed is not...
vieja_gw
RECIPE: Corn chowder recipe
I recently had this and it was delicious. The only...
flowergirl70ks
LOOKING for: how to use peaches
somebody just gave 60 huge beautiful peaches BUT I...
ginnier
RECIPE: Quick Red Thai Curry Noodle Soup
Ingredients: 1tbsp oil 300g mixed stir-fry vegetables...
thermon1
RECIPE: simple cabbage preparation
I'm looking for one or more simple ways to prepare...
melissa_thefarm
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™