LOOKING for: Boiled Peanuts

CA KateSeptember 13, 2007

I bought some raw/green in-shell peanuts at the farmers' market yesterday and I'm trying to find out how to make "Boiled Peanuts". So far I've found boiling times from 35 minutes to 7 hours; and salt from 1 1/2 Tblsps to 1 1/2 cups per pot of boiling water.

Does anyone here know how to make this treat?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
heyreub

This is the way I make them and they always come out just right.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Boiled Peanuts *

Recipe By : Reuben Ware
Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:10
Categories : Snacks

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
2 quarts green peanuts
1/4 cup salt
2 quarts water -- To cover

This is the amount of peanuts and water that fills my crockpot. Put peanuts in crock pot, add salt and water. Cook, covered, on high for 5 to 7 hours. Add additional water during cooking to keep peanuts covered. You can add some hot sauce to the pot if you like Cajun-style spicy peanuts.

After you've cooked the peanuts to the texture you prefer, let them remain in the water for an hour to soak up the brine. Store in a plastic container in the refrigerator. Re-heat in a small serving-size bowl in your microwave if you prefer your peanuts warm. Peanuts can be frozen and will keep several months.

Bookmark   September 14, 2007 at 2:57PM
heyreub

If you have extra peanuts, try this but don't cook until done as they will keep cooking and burn.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Parched Peanuts *

Recipe By : Reuben Ware
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:10
Categories : Snacks

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
2 pounds peanuts -- raw

Preheat oven to 350°. Spread peanuts on cookie sheet or shallow baking pan. Roast peanuts for 10-15 minutes. Peanuts will continue to roast from their own internal heat for a few minutes, so they may seem a little underdone just after you take them out. Wait till peanuts are cool enough not to burn your tongue.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Bookmark   September 15, 2007 at 1:46PM
CA Kate

Thanks for the help. Maybe I'll split my cache in two and try both recipes.

Bookmark   September 15, 2007 at 7:30PM
bigfoot839

i am not a big fan of the rosted peanuts but the boiled recipie that is listed is how they do it in alabama lol good stuff

Bookmark   September 17, 2007 at 9:27AM
slowlane

Length of time depends on how fresh the nuts are. Older ones (that's most anything you buy in the store) will take much longer than fresh-from-the-grower peanuts.

I fill my Crock pot with peanuts and boiling water; then pour in EITHER creole or Cajun seasoning--or crab boil--until it smells good. (Don't add any more salt or you'll drop dead on the spot!) I cook them at least overnight, usually closer to 24 hours. They are done when my husband stops "testing" them and scoops out a bowl.

Sometimes I cook them on the stove top, too, but Richard samples almost ALL of them when he can actually SEE them on the stove.

Bookmark   September 17, 2007 at 5:21PM
CA Kate

Mine were fresh.... and I decided to boil them all. I put them in a pot and covered with water adding 1/4 salt. I started tasting them after boiling for 30 minutes. I decided that the texture was correct after 45 minutes and turned off the heat. I kept tasting them for saltiness for about another 45 minutes before I drained them. DH has eaten most of them already. I definitely need to go to the Market and try to get some more.

Thanks for all your help, and I'm going to try roasting them with the next batch.

Bookmark   September 17, 2007 at 9:01PM
pat_t

Westelle - hint: they freeze well. I generally boil a huge batch and separate them into quart-sized freezer baggies. When I get the craving, usually in the dead of winter, I just zap them in the microwave and voila!

Bookmark   September 21, 2007 at 9:52AM
CA Kate

Thanks for the hint, Pat. Doing a whole bunch would be easier than smaller batches throughout the year.

Bookmark   September 21, 2007 at 3:20PM
More Discussions
LOOKING for: how to use peaches
somebody just gave 60 huge beautiful peaches BUT I...
ginnier
LOOKING for: elephant garlic recipes?
i grew a bunch and now i don't know what to do with...
Molly Adams
LOOKING for: Paprika bacon?
Mu husband brought home a 1# slab piece of paprika...
spyro
RECIPE: Oven Canned Tomatoes
Since 1974 I've used this recipe to process/can my...
CrazyHorse2
RECIPE: Help! Flan
Friend from Dominican Republic served and gave me this...
glenda_al
Sponsored Products
Ivory Damask Stripe 500-Thread Count Deep-Pocket Sheet Set
$54.99 | zulily
16" Matthews Diane Polished Chrome Directional Ceiling Fan
Lamps Plus
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor American Rug Craftsmen Rugs Spiral Stratum Dark
$80.00 | Home Depot
Haba Biofino Crepes - 3819
$28.49 | Hayneedle
Greenville Banker Desk Lamp
$149.00 | FRONTGATE