Abandoned/Burned Properties, How to find the owner?

tlowery04July 19, 2010

I live in an area where there are numerous vacant or originally unsold lots. A few burned out buildings and the like.

My question is this, How would I go about finding the owners to make an offer on the property?

If the property is owned by a city or local government how would i be able to purchase it? I would think most small towns would want to unload non performing assets...

Thanks

Trent

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Billl

The owners of all realestate are listed with the county and are public record. Most counties have searchable online databases. If you live in a rural area though, you might have to go to the county seat/city hall etc.

For government owned property, most cities/counties have periodic auctions.

It is often harder than you might think to buy rundown lots or buildings. They are often abandoned for a reason - eg major site problems, huge back taxes, leans, judgements etc. Some cities have redevelopment projects that may assist potential owners, but that varies wildly by region.

Bookmark   July 19, 2010 at 9:09AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
calliope

Good answer. I had my eye of a very unique old house in town and was waiting for it to come up for some sort of auction or sale. Instead of actively pursuing it, I just kept my eyes peeled. Was hoping to buy it and save it from destruction. Never saw a condemned sign on it or any other notice. Drove by it one day and it was just 'gone' and an empty lot in its place. The city had come into some funding for derelict and abandoned houses and suspect they just solved their problem that way.

Bookmark   July 19, 2010 at 10:24AM
More Discussions
How to Flip. Remodel doubles price of house
The prices are San Francisco values, but it's a terrific...
sushipup1
For those of you who have swapped out your brass hardware....
For those of you who have swapped out your brass hardware,...
Lizzie
can he evict us?.
almost a year ago me and my girlfriend and her 5 yr...
Joseph Gonser
Seller not allowing final walk-through before closing
Hi, I am struggling with a strange situation in my...
musicgold
Home closing delayed or is it a wash-out?
Hello everyone, I am a new poster, but have enjoyed...
housesellerc
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™