RECIPE: World's Best Meatloaf
I've been asked by Tammy to post again the meatloaf recipe that I've been using for so many years.
It's a real winner, so here it is:
1 1/2 cups soft bread crumbs - (tear up soft sliced bread - don't use fine crumbs as for breading)
1 1/2 lb ground meat (beef or pork & beef) (about 700 grams)
1 beaten egg
1 onion chopped fine
1/4 teasp dry Colman's (or similar) mustard
1/8 teasp ground sage
1/2 teasp ground thyme
1 1/2 teasp salt
1/4 teas pepper
1/8 teasp nutmeg
1 chopped green pepper
1 tin condensed tomato soup (eg Campbells's)
3/4 cup grated celery
3/4 cup grated carrot
1) Mix meat with egg, add onion and seasonings and bread crumbs, greens and carrots
2) Add half the tin of soup and mix everything well. Turn into greased loaf pan or glass casserole dish 8.5 x 11 inches and pour remaining soup over the top, smoothing it evenly over all.
3) Bake 350 F (177 C) for 1 1/4 hours.
Mustard pickles also goes well and this makes wonderful cold sandwiches next day !
Source: American Pro Footbal Player's Wife in 1963
1) I use 'tomate frito' instead of the condensed soup. It's a rich fried Spanish tomato purÃ©e but otherwise condensed soup is good. Never use ketchup !
2) I usually double the amount of the ground spices with the exception of salt.