RECIPE: Pot Roast - One pot meal

mtcrafterAugust 30, 2009

Hi,

this is a standby in my family. My grown children call it 'real food' as an alternative to fast food, frozen entree's etc. I like it because when it is done, the entire meal is done and only needs to be served up.

Ingredients:

chuck or other pot roast beef - with or w/o bones. Lb. depends on how many are being served.

2 - 4 tbsp fat - oil, butter, shortening, lard, bacon whatever you like.

Potatoes - one or two per person

Carrots - Same

Onion - Same

flour, salt, pepper - about 1/4 to 1/2 cp flour.

beef broth - I like the low sodium, organic broth.

Any other herbs you like fresh or dried.

Garlic - optional

Heat oven to 325 degrees

Peel and prepare vegetables, half onions etc.

mix flour, salt and pepper and dredge the roast in it.

In a dutch oven, heat the fat over the cook top and then braise the flour coated roast on all sides until brown. Remove from the pan.

Add enough flour to the remaining fat to make a rouix. Stir until lightly browned. Add broth and stir until smooth. Cook a short while. You want it to be like a thin gravy.

Put the roast back into the pot and turn so it gets coated with the liquid. Add in the vegetables and any other seasonings you may like. Put the lid on and place into the oven to cook slowly for 2 1/2 to 3 hours until the meat is very tender. With a large roast, it may take 3 hours or longer.

When done, remove the meat and vegetables to a serving platter. Stir the gravy and place in a serving dish. You may want to strain it if there are sprigs of fresh herbs in it. Be sure and taste it to see if it needs more salt or pepper.

Serve with a green salad, french bread and enjoy. All done at once. (Men seem to especially like this)

I'm thinking I might try this with other garden veggies we have in season. Maybe turnips, rutabagas, parsnips, fennel, etc.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
annova914

Try the fennel. I recently cooked fennel (in a frito misto recipe of Giada's) and we loved it. So much better than what it tastes like raw (like licorice which is not a favorite flavor of mine :) It's mild and flavorful. Ann

Bookmark   August 30, 2009 at 7:27PM
lindac

It's great as originally written....rutabega and fennel are too dominant for a good pot roast.
I like to add some dry red wine instead of some of the beef broth....and maybe a dash of worchestershire sauce.
It's fall food!
Linda C

Bookmark   August 31, 2009 at 10:07PM
eileenlaunonen

I like parsnips in my pot roast.

Bookmark   September 3, 2009 at 9:27AM
donnalovesblue

You can also use strong black coffee and sweet sherry instead of beef broth. (cooking sherry is fine) It really makes a wonderful gravy.

Yes, most definitely comfort food! I love the smell of a roast cooking in the oven!

Bookmark   September 3, 2009 at 4:46PM
stuartwanda

I like to add cabbage to my pot roast.

Bookmark   September 5, 2009 at 9:18AM
More Discussions
RECIPE: Looking for: Date Nut Bread Recipe
I've tried a few recipes and have often been disappointed....
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
RECIPE: Poached salmon
Planning this years New Years Eve dinner and would...
prairie_rose
LOOKING for: how to use peaches
somebody just gave 60 huge beautiful peaches BUT I...
ginnier
RECIPE: simple cabbage preparation
I'm looking for one or more simple ways to prepare...
melissa_thefarm
RECIPE: Corn chowder recipe
I recently had this and it was delicious. The only...
flowergirl70ks
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™