RECIPE: Barn cake

Maggie4August 24, 2007

This won a top prize at the Iowa State Fair this year. Would anyone have this recipe .

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
trixietx

I would love to have the recipe.

Congratulations on your win?

Bookmark   August 24, 2007 at 11:44AM
blizlady

I tried a search, but couldn't find the recipe. Sometimes newspapers in the local region of state fairs will print winning recipes. Maybe you can write or e-mail one of the bigger Iowa newspapers to see if they published it.

Bookmark   August 24, 2007 at 12:30PM
nightnurse1968

Hi Maggie,
From what I've read regarding the barn cake is that it was a contest to make a cake looking as much like a barn. So sounds like it was more a decorating kind of thing than a recipe per se. Are you local to Iowa? Maybe the paper will post some pics/decoration.

This is what I found regarding the Barn Cake:

For Immediate Release
August 14, 2007

INDIANOLA BAKER TAKES TOP HONORS IN BARN AGAIN DESSERTS CONTEST

Amy Fuson of Indianola won first place and $100 from Successful Farming Magazine, as IowaÂs farm and food traditions met in the Barn Again Desserts competition judged August 9 at the 2007 Iowa State Fair.

Anita VanGundy of Des Moines won second place and $50 for her "Barn Again Dessert" and Brenda Becker of Pella earned third place and $15 for her "Barn Cake."

Entrants were tasked to use any cake, dessert, cookie, or combination of any of these items to create an edible barn. The creations were judged on taste, appearance and creativity.

The Iowa State Fair Foods Department is the largest of any state fair in the country. Foods Department judging is held in the Elwell Family Food Center sponsored by Blue Bunny.

The Iowa State Fair "Sounds Like Fun" and runs through August 19. The Fairgrounds are located at East 30th and East University Avenue, just 10 minutes east of downtown Des Moines, and are open 8 a.m. to 1 a.m. each day of the Fair. Exhibit hours may vary. For more information, call 800/545-FAIR or visit iowastatefair.org.

Bookmark   August 24, 2007 at 12:47PM
trixietx

Did I flub up or what, I totally misread your post.
Sorry and I hope someone has the recipe.

Bookmark   August 24, 2007 at 3:49PM
Maggie4

Thanks Nightnurse, I wasn't sure exactly what it was. I only read part of the Des Moines Reg. I knew someone would be able to tell me more...so thanks again.
I am in need of some unusual recipes for small kids. I am thinking they could make a barn cake with frosting animals. I have lots of ideas now. This just might work.
Thanks for the info.

Bookmark   August 25, 2007 at 7:56PM
iowajewel

I am from Iowa and they always publish a cookbook of winning recipes. If anyone gets it, maybe they will share. I doubt any of the newspapers published them!
Julie

Bookmark   August 27, 2007 at 10:35AM
More Discussions
RECIPE: Corn chowder recipe
I recently had this and it was delicious. The only...
flowergirl70ks
recipe: iso very simple yellow squash gratin
I am looking for a recipe that I can use for a squash...
jennieboyer
RECIPE: Green Tomato Cake
This was really good! Green Tomato Cake 199 reviews...
iris_gal
RECIPE: Help! Flan
Friend from Dominican Republic served and gave me this...
glenda_al
LOOKING for: Toddle House strawberry cream pie
If anyone remembers the Toddle House from way back,...
martha.
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™