How far should upper cabinets be from the window trim?

aries61April 10, 2011

Curious, trying to figure how far from the sink window trim should the cabinet start.Currently I have about an inch on one side and the other side butts up to the trim(looking to change cabinets). Not sure if I like the way it looks. What do others have? Do you like the way it looks? Pictures?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Mossfern

Mine is about 3-4 inches. That way the color of the painted walls shows and provides contrast. The tile back splash goes right up to the trim and abuts it. I'm pleased with the way it looks.

Bookmark   April 10, 2011 at 12:31PM
francoise47

I've seen many beautiful kitchens on GW in which the cabinets butt directly against the trim. In others, there is a full six plus inches for a more "unfitted" look. (This is what I plan to do.) Do you want to see some paint or tile between your cabinet and window? I think that three inches is a nice compromise width to show a little "air" between the window and cabinet.

Three inches is probably what Christopher Peacock himself did in his own kitchen posted here:

Bookmark   April 10, 2011 at 12:34PM
palimpsest

I would either have it touch or far enough away that it is reasonable to paint or apply backsplash material there if you wish. With a larger format tile design it may make sense to have six inches or more so you are not installing slivers.

Bookmark   April 10, 2011 at 12:49PM
sumnerfan

Mine are nine inches away on either side. I questioned if they should be closer, but I'm happy I didn't move them any closer. It keeps that area (my sink is under the window) open and airy. Check the kitchen update II for pictures.

Bookmark   April 10, 2011 at 12:54PM
rosie

Since styles and personal preferences in window treatments vary over the years, you might want to consider clearance needs for various styles you wouldn't use today.

Bookmark   April 10, 2011 at 1:08PM
boxerpups

I think it depends on the size of the wall and cabinets.
And of course what you like.

Here are some ideas...
~boxerpups

Bookmark   April 10, 2011 at 6:57PM
tigergirl123

We have a 48" window (plus trim) and we had the cabinets butt right up to the trim. But in our case we only had 6-8" to work with on one side, so we chose to have wine racks (wood, same as cabinets) installed on both sides. I think it looks nice, and otherwise I think I would have felt it was a waste of space if we left it open. And the wine cabs are not as "solid" looking as a regular cabinet w/doors.

Since there's not too much room above the window (and we have a valance and crown moulding w/ the cabinets) we plan on putting the same tile up there as our backsplash.

Bookmark   April 10, 2011 at 8:07PM
More Discussions
"Ledge" sinks and accessories -- do you use them?
I'm considering an undermount stainless sink that has...
denizenx
Question for those who have Painted Conestoga Cabinets?
Curious if you went with mdf or paint grade center...
aries61
Odd Shaped Kitchen Remodel
I cross posted this in the Design Dilemma forum, but...
sdp123
Need advice on how to remodel this corner of kitchen
Hi all Just purchased a home and does not have budget...
strikeraj
Gap between backsplash and over-the-range microwave?
Hi, all. Does anyone have an over-the-range microwave...
hjs
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™