LOOKING for: Tomato soup with smoked paprika

compumomJuly 29, 2008

I know that I saw this recipe somewhere, probably in a magazine, and now I cannot find it. It did not have any dairy products which is very important to me and the base was chicken broth. I don't recall if they used canned or fresh tomatoes.

Can anyone help me? Oh Ginger...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lindac

I make a tomato soup, based on my own home made chicken broth....and posted here....that what you are thinking of?
I sautee celery and onion and green peppers in olive oil.
Let's say 1/3 cup each onions and celery and 1/4 of pepper. When its' soft, add a couple of cloves chopped garlic.
Then add about 5 or so big fresh tomatoes, peeled but I don't seed them, cut into rough chunks and add to the pot. If you use canned tomatoes, buy them whole and with out "packed in puree"...just tomatoes, break them up with your hands, use 2 cans, juice and all.
Add 2 cups of your chicken broth and a rounded teaspoon of smoked paprika or smokey ground chiles and simmer for 30 to 45 minutes...
Taste....depending on your tomatoes and how sweet the paprika is, you may need to add a teaspoon of sugar or a T of red wine vinegar....salt...fresh ground black pepper..
Serve with a chiffonade of fresh basil.
Linda C

Bookmark   July 29, 2008 at 6:39PM
pat_t

Ellen - how about this one: Roasted Tomato & Paprika Soup

Bookmark   July 29, 2008 at 9:06PM
BeverlyAL

Sharon (Chase) has a well known and loved tomato soup recipe that doesn't require any kind of dairy. I'm sure you could just add the smoked paprika. I no longer have her recipe. Maybe she will see this and post it.

Beverly

Bookmark   July 29, 2008 at 9:44PM
compumom

Thanks ladies, Pat that one looks really interesting! I've printed it out to try.
Beverly I'll be looking for Chase's and Linda, I'll give yours a try too. DH isn't as big of a fan as I am, so I'll work my way through these! I wish that I could use canned tomatoes for convenience, but maybe in Linda's recipe that would work too.

Bookmark   July 29, 2008 at 10:01PM
pixistix

I just saw this one in my Sept. Food & Wine mag . . . it must not be the one you saw, though, because it doesn't have a broth base plus it has cream. (Although it's a very small amount of cream, which could be omitted if you wanted?) I'll post the link anyway :)

Here is a link that might be useful: smoky tomato soup

Bookmark   August 9, 2008 at 4:48PM
More Discussions
RECIPE: Canning Recipe procedure
This may sound dumb but how tight should the lid on...
KenWade
RECIPE: anise liquid ..?
In making biscochitos, I find the anise seed is not...
vieja_gw
RECIPE: simple cabbage preparation
I'm looking for one or more simple ways to prepare...
melissa_thefarm
recipe: iso - shelf stable recipe for peache - not jam
Hi all, I have a lot of frozen peaches that I put up...
jennieboyer
LOOKING for: Toddle House strawberry cream pie
If anyone remembers the Toddle House from way back,...
martha.
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™