Counter Height Windows & WATER? issues?

2LittleFishiesApril 18, 2012

I REALLY want a counter height window. There have been a few great threads on these so I'll link one below.

What I was wondering if any of you that have them have had any or are worried about water issues? Also we're buying a Kohler Apron front sink that is 22 9/16" deep (front to back). Many have done a small (8"?) bump out for window and am wondering if that would be a must with an apron front sink. Not sure how many inches of the sink actually sticks out in the front of the countertop.

Thanks for any suggestions! If I end up not doing this, I know I at least want a Very Small backsplash under window (a few inches?)

Here are some photos. There are many more but I'm just showing a few here : )

gglks window: (**gglks- how deep is your sink? : )

mamadadapaige:

erikanh:

And some people use bay windows. I wonder what is less $-- a bumpout or a bay window? We are planning 3 casement windows equaling 6'.

Buehl's:

Small backsplash:

buckheadhillbilly- 2.5"

Here is a link that might be useful: COUNTER Height Window thread

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rslmt

Hi! I looked at those same pictures SOOOO many times! In fact I showed them all to my contractor when we had our window installed. There is about 5 inches behind the back of our sink and the window (Franke Orca sink 5" for the wider sink of the sink and 7" for the narrower side). I LOVE it. I definitely splash water on the window, but not so much that I worry about problems (besides cleaning the window, and I don't worry too much about that!!). Prior to this window, we had a boxed out window, about 10" deep and raised about 5 inches. I HATED it. Couldn't reach the window cranks to open them, sill collected lots of "stuff" (special dishes that needed to be put elsewhere, dying flowers, thermometer, paperwork, etc). My husband's favorite thing about the new kitchen is the window!!

Bookmark   April 18, 2012 at 12:50PM
2LittleFishies

Thanks rslmt! Have you posted pics of yours? I really am excited about this : )

Bookmark   April 18, 2012 at 8:20PM
a2gemini

2Littlefishies - I wish I had seen these before doing the new siding. I put in a garden window but would have gone down counter if I had seen the awesome pictures a year ago. I still like what we did - but the possibiliities!

Bookmark   April 18, 2012 at 9:57PM
2LittleFishies

a2gemini- So you're saying you would have kept the garden window but lowered it?

Bookmark   April 18, 2012 at 10:00PM
a2gemini

Absolutely! I love my garden window - fresh herbs all winter and even a flowering plant.
Now I have spinach and chard popping - oh a a few starter squash seeds
Hard to keep up while under reno - but still surviving!

Bookmark   April 19, 2012 at 9:32PM
puppeez

I coveted MMDDP's window. I showed the contractor her window, and while I did a different configuration, I still got a to-the-counter window and I'm happy with it. It's bumped out 6" and the windows rarely get splashed. But it is harder to reach clear to the top to clean them.

I have an 18x30 Whitehaus apron front sink undermounted with a slight positive reveal. It's pulled forward about 2" from the cabinet front and sits on a shelf. The counter extends 15" from the back of the sink to the bumpout window. No problem cleaning behind the faucet now!

Bookmark   April 19, 2012 at 10:29PM
powertoolpatriot

I realize being practical is frowned upon at times here in the forums, there are some things that need to be considered.
First, water is invasive. It will go places you would never think it would be able to.
Second, mold can grow in the most unimaginable places.
Third, you'll never see wood rot until it is too late.
Don't want to be a party pooper, but from my experience, the 2.5 inch backsplash would probably be the most practical solution.
Just my opinion.
Good luck with whatever you choose!

Bookmark   April 20, 2012 at 2:50AM
dljmth

In the erikanh picture in the OP, where are the outlets/receptacles? I don't see them anywhere along that row of windows on the counter or in the cabinets. Did code not require so many?

Bookmark   April 22, 2012 at 1:44AM
More Discussions
Help with galley kitchen layout ... please.
Hi everyone! I am hoping you can help me with my layout...
ybchat67
what metal finish with a Chambers stove?
I'm planning a kitchen remodel. I already have my white...
mccb1
Your longest stretch of granite counter w/o seam?
Our counters will be re-templated later today. It...
tea4all
Help! Are rift cut, slab cabinets always veneer?
We got a sample of our door color for our slab, rift...
frogster
Gap between backsplash and over-the-range microwave?
Hi, all. Does anyone have an over-the-range microwave...
hjs
Sponsored Products
Linon Tavern Espresso Wood Table 3-peice Set
Overstock.com
Watson Leather Bar Stool - Brighton Soul White White
Joybird Furniture
Electronic Kitchen Scale by Alessi
$204.00 | Lumens
Round 17" Copper
PLFixtures
Thales Stool
$89.99 | zulily