What should i put on this table?

rwhirleyMay 14, 2014

This picture was from the fall and I am not quite sure what to put on here. Im thinking a big silver decorative bowl. Any suggestions?
Thanks
Renay

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Jules

I would combine a few items with staggered heights. If you do a decorative bowl, make it medium sized and add taller candles or a taller sculpture plus a couple books.

Bookmark   May 14, 2014 at 10:37PM
stolenidentity

Is there a group sitting around the table often, or is it just all for decoration? I would put a big glass bowl, and fill it with seasonal color. Glass looks like a 'theme' in that little sitting area so I'd stick with it.

Bookmark   May 14, 2014 at 10:43PM
rwhirley

Sasafras...for the most part it is decoration but I wouldn't mind in the least if it was used. I think the accent color in the room behind it is more silver. I just stuck the glass up there as I have nothing else to put there at the moment. I will eventually blow up a picture of my children from my brothers wedding and put that on the mantle in the middle. I have 2 mantles and it makes it a little difficult to come up with ideas to decorate:)

Bookmark   May 15, 2014 at 1:24AM
stevejones99

if you use flower with flower vase, that would good and match decorative for your table

Bookmark   May 15, 2014 at 1:48AM
patty_cakes

I wouldn't use anything high such as candlesticks or a flower arrangement, unless it's horizontal. There are times someone might need to reach over the table, and it's awkward when there are things in the way. A tray, your silver bowl(filled with something!), and a couple of coffee table books would be enough.

Bookmark   May 15, 2014 at 2:40AM
Oakley

I'm a sucker for trays. You can get trays in all shapes and colors and put a little grouping on them.

I have a low grouping so nothing will block the TV.

Bookmark   May 15, 2014 at 7:12AM
theclose

I agree with tray, silver bowl and books/pretties. Lovely room!

Bookmark   May 15, 2014 at 8:49AM
tibbrix

You could do something somewhat unique and put a bowl with water and then floating flowers, candles, whatever, and change what is in there to suit the season/holiday.

Here is an every day one:

Bookmark   May 15, 2014 at 8:54AM
tibbrix

Here is one with cranberries, maybe for around Thanksgiving. Other ideas, rocks, shellsâ¦.

Bookmark   May 15, 2014 at 8:55AM
aputernut

Something to brighten up the space, colorful, spring like for now.

Bookmark   May 15, 2014 at 10:05AM
gyr_falcon

What is that mold growing in the bowl (jujubean71's photo)? I'm not just being flip, but honestly curious. What is that, or what is it supposed to be pretending to be in there?

Bookmark   May 15, 2014 at 10:56AM
Jules

It's decorative moss. I didn't post that photo to highlight the actual items but rather to illustrate a collection of items in staggered heights. The taller items could be a sculpure, candles, plant, floral, etc.

Here's another example (but without a tray) ...

Bookmark   May 15, 2014 at 11:41AM
gyr_falcon

I wasn't criticizing the photo choice; it shows exactly the illustration point you meant it to. I really didn't understand that was supposed to be moss. To a designer it probably might look like moss; to someone that has been in the horticulture industry since 1980, it did not at all. Frankly, something growing on extremely old fridge food, much enlarged, was all I could think of. I was curious, since I was certain that was not the designer's intent. lol

PS And now that I think about it, I seem to recall that type of moss bowl fooling me at least once before, and I had to ask for clarification then, too. I need to learn to view interiors more with an artist's eye.

This post was edited by Gyr_Falcon on Thu, May 15, 14 at 15:23

Bookmark   May 15, 2014 at 3:15PM
stolenidentity

Renay,

A big silver bowl would look nice on that table instead of glass. And I mean BIG. Fill it with anything else instead of a candle arrangement. That fire is lovely and a candle is not necessary. Invite use at the table, put some little retro games in the silver bowl - marbles, cards, jacks, pick up stix...you get the idea ;)

I love that little fireplace and mantle.

This post was edited by sasafras on Thu, May 15, 14 at 22:45

Bookmark   May 15, 2014 at 10:40PM
More Discussions
WWYD re: tile in bathroom/mudroom
So my DH thought that before we put all our baseboards...
akl_vdb
Photoshop Help with my exterior remodel!
Help! I want to remodel the exterior of my house. I...
fst96se
who has grey kitchen cabinets?
would appreciate info from people who have grey cabinets...
mainewire
Grey-blue paint
So our master bath is sea glass green (well kinda,...
angiern2004
Office Desks - Coordinating Styles
Hello all, I'm working on my home office, and I'm excited...
jan_in_wisconsin
Sponsored Products
Eagle One Hexagon All Greenwood Picnic Table In Black/Brown
Beyond Stores
Area Rug: Weston Lifestyle Collection Charcoal Gold 3' 6" x 5' 6"
Home Depot
14 Series Three Pendant Chandelier by Bocci
$1,050.00 | Lumens
Christopher Knight Home Sarasota Bronze Cast Aluminum Outdoor Adjoining Chair
Overstock.com
100 Tortoise-Print Cocktail Napkins
$52.00 | Horchow