RECIPE: bbq crab (aunt angelle's recipe)

lizzierouxJuly 2, 2007

BBQ CRAB

All crab loving men like love this recipe!

About 2 dozen blue crab (or other crab will do)

Kosher or sea salt

Cayenne pepper

1 pound of butter (4 sticks)

3 Tablespoons of liquid crab or shrimp boil

1 teaspoon garlic powder

1 Tablespoon lemon pepper seasoning mix

1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce

1 Teaspoon paprika

6 large lemons, quartered

Clean the crab thoroughly, and then crack the claws but do not remove the shells.

Sprinkle the crabs generously with the salt & cayenne.

Mix the butter, liquid boil, lemon pepper, garlic powder, worcestershire, and paprika in a saucepan.

Squeeze the lemons, and add the juice and the lemons to the pan, mix well, and heat the butter mixture over low heat until the butter is melted.

Take your basting brush and brush about 1/3 of the sauce all over the crabs.

Place the crabs, cavity side down on your grill or barbecue pit over a medium to low fire.

Close the lid and cook for about 10 minutes.

Tuen the crabs over and fill the cavities with more of the butter sauce.

Close the lid (at this point the smell is wonderful) and allow to cook for another 10- 15 minutes. This will vary according to your heat and size of your crab.

When ready brush the remaining butter sauce on the crabs & serve & enjoy!

Pass the ice cold beer!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lindac

Certainly you boil the crabs before removing the shells and cracking the shells etc...
I am perfectly capable of dumping a crab into bopiling water, but not ripping the shell off while it's still alive.
And i know of no way to clean the crabs thoroughly without removing the shell....how do you get rid of the gills?
Linda C

Bookmark   July 3, 2007 at 1:18PM
lizzieroux

Hummmmmm, well certainly you do not boil the crab for this recipe since we are BBQ-ing the crab, and you clean the crab by removing the eyes/mouth, and under the apron (which you pull off) you remove the gills and junk by simply running cold water on them until they are clean.I also scrap off any fur on the legs as well, especially if I am making a gumbo.

If you want you can do this with crab legs which you just split down the middle and proceed with the recipe.

Sorry, I should have realized that not all people know how to clean a crab. :)

Bookmark   July 5, 2007 at 2:02PM
lindac

I've cleaned lots and lots of crabs...but never live. Always cooked them first.
Linda C

Bookmark   July 5, 2007 at 5:26PM
lizzieroux

Well, many people do not buy "live" crabs. There are excellent, fresh crabs out there that are not "alive", and if you do get the live crab, simply take your knife and scrape across the belly.

The main thrust of my post was to give a recipe for the BBQ part which is delicious with crab. It was not intended to instruct on how to clean/kill crabs.

Thank you for your comments, and you take care!

Bookmark   July 6, 2007 at 4:32PM
jimtex

Lizzy, I'm guessing your from New Orleans or close by. I live in Texas close to the coast and Galveston Bay and there are folks here that try to eat their weight in bbq crabs including me. I've never made them myself but I'll save the recipe and try it this summer. As for crab cleaning I had some good friends in the 70's that taught me to ice live crabs to calm them then clean them before cooking. After you pop the back off take a small brush and scrub the gills out and any funk growing on the shell. I've done it that way ever since.
James

Bookmark   July 6, 2007 at 7:08PM
Bumblebeez SC Zone 7

Probably because I don't live near the coast, but I could never clean something that wasn't already dead.

Bookmark   July 7, 2007 at 2:28PM
ginger_st_thomas

Your recipes sounds great. Thanks for posting it!

Bookmark   July 7, 2007 at 2:36PM
More Discussions
LOOKING for: Christmas Tree coffee cake
DH here... My mother used to make a coffee cake for...
dawninva
RECIPE: anise liquid ..?
In making biscochitos, I find the anise seed is not...
vieja_gw
RECIPE: Canning Recipe procedure
This may sound dumb but how tight should the lid on...
KenWade
RECIPE: Christmas Cookies
Think we are late getting this one started this year...
roselin32
RECIPE: Onion Soup What to mix with Guyere cheese
I'm planning to make my French Onion Soup for a number...
qmarker
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™