RECIPE: thanx for the recommendation, gardenlad!

san_July 15, 2007

quite some time ago, i had asked if anyone had a cookbook based on vegetables that they liked and you thought marian morash's "victory garden cookbook" might be worthwhile. it just arrived yesterday so i haven't really gotten into it yet but i'm really impressed with what i've seen so far.

the chapters are laid out by the specific vegetable and begins with information on yield, storing and preserving, and how to treat leftovers. then she gives basic cooking instructions for each, such as steaming or baking or sauteeing...then she starts giving specific recipes for them and i'm really pretty excited that they don't look like the "same old, same old" and the chapter on parsnips looks particularly good to me--from vegetables stuffed with parsnip puree, parsnip-soffritto soup, parsnip and chicken casserole to parsnip-pecan cake! (we really like the sort of sweet and sort of peppery flavor of them and i'm just so happy to see such a range that i'd never considered!) anyway, i think this book is going to be just the sort of thing i was hoping for--thank you!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardenlad

Glad you like the book, San. But twern't me.

Although I have a shelf full of vegetarian cookbooks I've never seen that particular one. And, based on her appearances on The Victory Garden, I was never particularly impressed with her. I always figured the only reason she got that gig was because her husband produced the show.

Bookmark   July 15, 2007 at 11:24PM
ann_t

Not sure who recommended that book too you San, but it is one of my favourite Vegetable cookbooks. I've had mine since it came out around 1982. Lots of wonderful recipes that you will enjoy. Try the corn pudding.

Ann

Bookmark   July 16, 2007 at 5:35PM
debnj3

Like Ann, I too have this book since 1982. It's a great book and very informative. Some of my favorite recipes are:
Leek and Potato Soup
Cream of Spinach Soup
Aunt Pat's Summer Salad (love this one!)
Lynn Wilson's Squash Nut Bread
and
Old-Fashioned Squash Pie
Your post reminded me that I have this book and haven't looked at it in quite awhile. I hope you enjoy as much as I have.
Debbie

Bookmark   July 17, 2007 at 12:36PM
san_

oh dear--i'm sorry i didn't remember who gave me that tip correctly...and i was not impressed with marion while watching the show either, gardenlad. but as i commented on the "next food network star" series on the cooking forum, that show has pointed out (at least to me) that it takes more than food knowledge to develop a fan base--i think your personality and panache are almost as important.

i'm very glad to hear that ann and debbie both really enjoyed the book--and i really appreciate the specific recommendations! there certainly are a ton of good-sounding recipes to choose from and i'm looking forward to start trying some out. thanx, guys!

Bookmark   July 17, 2007 at 7:44PM
kayskats

uh.... what book are we talking about?

Bookmark   July 17, 2007 at 8:17PM
ann_t
    Bookmark   July 17, 2007 at 8:54PM
seagrass_gw

'Twas me, from across the sea!! I'm from New England but living temporarily in the Nederlands....glad you like the cookbook - I always did.

seagrass

Bookmark   July 22, 2007 at 3:01PM
san_

oh lordie--i don't know how i could have POSSIBLY mixed you up with GL, seagrass! and glad you read this posting! thanx very much for the recommendation--i am very happy to have that book. best wishes to you and yours!

Bookmark   July 22, 2007 at 5:26PM
More Discussions
RECIPE: Canning Recipe procedure
This may sound dumb but how tight should the lid on...
KenWade
RECIPE: Onion Soup What to mix with Guyere cheese
I'm planning to make my French Onion Soup for a number...
qmarker
LOOKING for: elephant garlic recipes?
i grew a bunch and now i don't know what to do with...
Molly Adams
RECIPE: Help! Flan
Friend from Dominican Republic served and gave me this...
glenda_al
LOOKING for: Christmas Cookies
Is it time to start posting Christmas Cookies yet???...
roselin32
Sponsored Products
Cuisinart Juice Extractor
$149.00 | FRONTGATE
Anolon Nouvelle Copper Stainless Steel 3.5-Quart Covered Straining Saucepan - Gr
$69.99 | Hayneedle
Handmade Tamales - ASSORTED
$92.00 | Horchow
Design House 503284 Alabaster 2-Light Ceiling Mount - Satin Nickel Finish Multic
$94.99 | Hayneedle
Char-Griller Wireless Remote Thermometer - 6206
$89.99 | Hayneedle
Anolon Advanced Bronze 6.5 qt. Covered Chef Pan with Helper Handles - 83511
$69.99 | Hayneedle
Denby Jet Oven to Table Curved Casserole - OTJ-588
$49.99 | Hayneedle
Bather Wall Outdoor Fountain - HG-200TB
$659.99 | Hayneedle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™