faux 'glass mosaic' vinyl tile for backsplash

sonepiApril 29, 2009

I was watching an episode of Hidden Potential a week ago and they were doing a redesign of kitchen on a budget. They used this "glass mosaic" vinyl peel and stick tile for the backsplash instead of the real thing. In the computer rendition it looked fantastic and was like a 3 or 4 color random glass tile installation - peel and stick. My sister has a laminate backsplash that goes up the walls to the bottom of the cabinets and she is looking for a low cost alternative. It looked great on the show, but I can't seem to find it. Even went to the Hidden Potential website, but could not find the show listed.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
athomesewing

I saw that too. Could it have been on Spice Up My Kitchen?

Bookmark   April 29, 2009 at 1:49PM
brutuses

Could you post a link for us? I'd love to see it. Thanks

Bookmark   April 29, 2009 at 3:03PM
pharaoh

Real glass mosaic is so much cheaper now, that I wouldnt bother with a fake-look-a-like. You can real glass tiles for $5 per sq ft on craigslist/ebay.

Bookmark   April 29, 2009 at 3:40PM
mom2reese

I'm not sure if this is what you saw, but Smart Tiles has a mosaic peel-n-stick product.

You can order them from Home Depot. As Pharaoh alludes, you can get real glass tile for less money. On the other hand, if you're not handy or don't want to install real tile yourself, peel-n-stick does save you traditional tile installation costs.

Here is a link that might be useful: Smart Tiles from Home Depot

Bookmark   April 29, 2009 at 4:49PM
sonepi

Hi Mom2reese, I think this is exactly what I saw on Hidden Potential. I clicked on your link and the Maya tile looks exactly like the one on the show. My sister's rental house is in a low income area, so real glass tiles would be an overdo for the area.

Pharaoh, good idea about ebay and craigslist. I didn't know the price had dropped so much. I'll definitely look into it for myself. Thanks everyone for the help.

Bookmark   April 30, 2009 at 10:36AM
sonepi

I've been checking ebay and most of the 12x12 sheets of glass mosaic tile is running about $14/sq foot. I found the faux tile. Its called Smart Tile Mosaic on the Home Depot website. It's $8/sq foot, but the convenience factor of peel and stick is tempting. I think I will go to HD to look at it in person. It's hard to get the full impact without seeing it in person. I just thought it would be less expensive than $8/sq foot. I may have to try my hand at doing regular 6x6 tile. They come in pretty designs now.

Bookmark   May 21, 2009 at 10:35PM
gsciencechick

Wow, I'll have to check these out, but our backspash is only about 18.5 square feet, so the glass mosaics are not going to run that much,and I'm not afraid to tile.

Bookmark   May 22, 2009 at 8:22AM
caz_d6_hotmail_com

You can get them at Home Depot, Smart Tiles or just put peel and stick tiles into search engine, also stick and go have a good range. They can all be purchased online. Good Luck, as I too am just in the process of choosing a colour/design before completing the same task.

Bookmark   April 2, 2011 at 6:47AM
More Discussions
Kitchen dimensions/layout advice please
We're finally renovating but this isnt a major overhaul,...
jomonster8u
Walnut slab for island with sink
We are building a home and I am considering using a...
sherry0117
Please help me with my layout options. Again.
Hello! Several months ago I posted to get layout advice...
ainelane
Do you like your Viscont White granite counters?
Like so many others, I lust over Calcutta gold marble...
Nan57
how to deal with delays
our cabinets were supposedly on pace to be delivered...
lmgch (formerly on GW)
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™