LOOKING for: Rhubarb Jam?

suziequeJuly 26, 2008

I have fresh rhubarb from my Dad's garden, and want to make rhubarb jam. Not strawberry-rhubarb, just rhubarb. I've got several from the web but am wondering if anyone here has a favorite that you've actually made. Looking for tried and true.

Anyone?

Suzieque

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
annie1992

Suzie, here's the recipe I use, it's pretty basic, has an inordinate amount of sugar and uses commerical pectin such as Sure Jell. I'm only assuming that you're canning it?

Rhubarb Jam

Makes 8 (1-cup) jars

4-1/2 cups rhubarb, chopped
1 cup water
6-1/2 cups sugar
1 box Sure-Jell
1/2 tsp. butter or margarine
Few drops red food coloring (optional)

Chop rhubarb finely; do not peel. Place in 4-qt. saucepan; add 1 cup water. Bring to boil on high heat. Reduce heat to medium and simmer 2 minutes or until rhubarb is soft. Measure exactly 4-1/2 cups into 6- or 8-quart saucepot.

Stir pectin into prepared fruit in saucepot. Add butter to reduce foaming, if desired. Bring to full rolling boil (a boil that doesn't stop bubbling when stirred) on high heat, stirring constantly.

Stir in all sugar quickly. Return to full rolling boil and boil exactly 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Skim off any foam with metal spoon. Stir in food coloring.

Ladle quickly into prepared jars leaving 1/8 inch headspace. Process in boiling water bath 10 minutes for half pints.

Bookmark   July 28, 2008 at 12:39PM
More Discussions
LOOKING for: Christmas Tree coffee cake
DH here... My mother used to make a coffee cake for...
dawninva
RECIPE: Canning Recipe procedure
This may sound dumb but how tight should the lid on...
KenWade
RECIPE: simple cabbage preparation
I'm looking for one or more simple ways to prepare...
melissa_thefarm
RECIPE: Looking for: Date Nut Bread Recipe
I've tried a few recipes and have often been disappointed....
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
LOOKING for: how to use peaches
somebody just gave 60 huge beautiful peaches BUT I...
ginnier
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™